Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help choosing NVIDIA or AMD Radeon

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 2, 2012 9:53:11 PM

I have never built my own computer before and have wanted to for a while. One problem I have is I dont know any difference between the Radeon cards or the GeForce cards. Without knowing which one it is hard to decide other components as well. I am not going for an extreme computer, just one that I can use for games and have them in 1080p. I do know that I am going with an Intel i5 second gen quad core 3.10GHz cpu. Any help would be appreciated. I know that this has probably been asked a lot, sorry if it is redundant.
January 2, 2012 10:12:00 PM

your other components do not change what graphics card you can use. radeon are better for multiple monitors if you like 3d or physx its nvidia.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:23:42 PM

demar3214 said:
your other components do not change what graphics card you can use. radeon are better for multiple monitors if you like 3d or physx its nvidia.

Physx is in 5 games LOL and the performance drop is atrocious LOL and 3D is a changeling gimmick.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2012 10:27:21 PM

Do you have a budget for your card, also what power supply will you be using ?
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 10:33:06 PM

i was not saying that physx was in a lot of games i was just pointing out things that the different gpus have.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:39:35 PM

To the OP just get what ever card has the best price/performance ration for your budget that being said Radeon does have more cards that offer a greater gaming value for each dollar spent.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:52:00 PM

Tom's publishes a "best gaming gpu for the money" article each month. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca... There is also a hierarchy chart at the end. As said before, having one or the other doesn't matter to the other components. Both companies have cards rivaling each other at the same price points. I would suggest you make a thread in the systems-new build section so we may help you pick parts.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 12:00:24 AM

k1114 said:
Tom's publishes a "best gaming gpu for the money" article each month. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca... There is also a hierarchy chart at the end. As said before, having one or the other doesn't matter to the other components. Both companies have cards rivaling each other at the same price points. I would suggest you make a thread in the systems-new build section so we may help you pick parts.

Toms Best cards for the money for Dec 2011 have but three Nvidia cards out of every price bracket the rest are all Radeons Dominated LOL.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 12:07:14 AM

I do use Nvidia Gpus and like it a lot.

I use 3D Vision (so this is the reason I stick with Nvidia) and like it very much. I use the physx and CUDA from Nvidia too. (It could help to accelerate some adobe applications parallel functions, it halfs the time used by my i7-2600 sometimes)

For a performance/bucks analysis ONLY I say that AMD cards is better than Nvidia.
But if you intent to use 3D anytime, or use some CUDA accelerated softwares you really should consider Nvidia cards.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 12:16:15 AM

vitornob said:
I do use Nvidia Gpus and like it a lot.

I use 3D Vision (so this is the reason I stick with Nvidia) and like it very much. I use the physx and CUDA from Nvidia too. (It could help to accelerate some adobe applications parallel functions, it halfs the time used by my i7-2600 sometimes)

For a performance/bucks analysis ONLY I say that AMD cards is better than Nvidia.
But if you intent to use 3D anytime, or use some CUDA accelerated softwares you really should consider Nvidia cards.

If you need a business class Video card get one but CUDA is not a good selling point for something intended to play video games LOL.
m
0
l
!