Sign in with
Your question
Closed

560 TI performance drops after few days

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2012 10:27:45 PM

So I bought a new comp a week ago and it played games fine, then a few days later the FPS in games dropped by around 15-20.

Because of this I did extensive benchmarking and testing to try and solve the problem, but to no avail.

Then I wake up the next morning to find out that the problem had magically solved itself =/

However today the problem has come back, and I have no idea why this is happening.

My specs are

intel i5 2500 3.3ghz processor
asus gtx 560 ti dcii (the non-TOP version but I OCed it to 900/4200)
8gb hyperx kingston RAM

On the days it was good I would get a 3dmark 11 combined score on performance preset of 4400ish

On the days it was bad it's around 3700

Why does the gtx 560 ti keep dropping and rising in performance? And is there any solution?
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2012 12:00:22 AM

Could you post your CPU and GPU temperatures when they are under load. You can use CPUID HWMonitor to monitor the temps when under load. If they are too high, one of those components could be throttling to protect itself from damage, causing your performance to drop. Was the room cooler when you got better performance? If so, there is probably a cooling issue, and your system just can't stay cool enough to operate properly unless the ambient temperature is low.
Score
January 3, 2012 1:01:15 AM

I don't think the cooling is an issue, as I first noticed this because of abyssmal fps drops during battlefield 3, where the temperature is always 65 degrees regardless of when the performance is good or bad. (measured with GPU-z)

My gfx card and case are well ventilated and I believe the ambient temperature here isn't that high to cause such a performance drop of 500+ score and an FPS drop in battlefield 3 of 15-20 frames.

Also during benchmarking my GPU never exceeded 75 degrees, which isn't bad is it?

Not sure about the CPU however, but it's only been like a week since I bought it and I haven't OCed it at all
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2012 1:24:18 AM

Yeah, the GPU is fine temp wise, but it could be CPU temperature issues. If you are using the intel stock cooler, it might not be seated properly, the push pin mounting system is not ideal. I usually install the stock cooler with the motherboard outside of the case, so I can visually check that all the push pins have fully gone through the motherboard. If your CPU is throttling, that will cause game performance issues and lowered benchmark scores. If your gaming load temps on the CPU are in the high 70s or higher, the cooler is not mounted properly, and needs to be remounted. If the temps get up into the 90s, that's when the CPU starts throttling.
Score
January 3, 2012 10:17:01 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Yeah, the GPU is fine temp wise, but it could be CPU temperature issues. If you are using the intel stock cooler, it might not be seated properly, the push pin mounting system is not ideal. I usually install the stock cooler with the motherboard outside of the case, so I can visually check that all the push pins have fully gone through the motherboard. If your CPU is throttling, that will cause game performance issues and lowered benchmark scores. If your gaming load temps on the CPU are in the high 70s or higher, the cooler is not mounted properly, and needs to be remounted. If the temps get up into the 90s, that's when the CPU starts throttling.

Hmm looks like the CPU is mounted well, just did a check this morning.

However I did notice in GPU-Z that my cards pixel fill rate is half that of other identical cards (mine being 14.4 gpixel/s and others having 29+)

Could this have anything to do with my problem?
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2012 11:42:22 PM

That could either be a software error, or an indication that you have a bad card. Could you post a screenshot of the GPU-Z readout? It's possible that not all the card's shaders are working, and that would cause large performance drops. If the specs on GPU-Z are off by a large margin, that probably means you have a defective card, and you'll have to RMA it. Only other thing I can suggest is to try a different driver revision if you haven't already. It's possible that something happened with the driver installation that caused it to not detect the card properly.
January 5, 2012 12:44:57 AM

Best answer selected by chinko14.
Score
!