Reported Temperatures seem too high; are mine typical?

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
What is considered a "normal" (safe) operating temperature range for a system like mine? My ASRock Utility program shows CPU temp at: 96F and sometimes up to 110F, or more. I shut it down and am using another computer to write this. Note: I am using Farenheit readings, not Celsius. The ambient temperature in my room is 82F-to-84F degrees.

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3.
CPU: Intel corei5 (2500K).
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 'EVO' (with thermal compound applied).
PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+ gold.
CASE: Lian Li Full Tower; model: PC-A70F (it has 4 fans, and they are all spinning).

All fans work, but I cannot feel any air whatsover from the power supply. I was told not to worry too much about that since most newer PSU's operate efficiently with low fan speeds. I still wonder though.

My MB has a connector on it labled "Power Fan Connector (PWR FAN1). It is located at the top of my MB (Number 3 in the book MB Layout picture), but it has NO WIRES connected to it. Question: Is that the connector that should be supplying power to my PSU fan? I have no idea. A computer tech hooked up the wires for me, and I'm wondering if he overlooked that one?

Any help will be appreciated, especially from folks who have already installed this particular MB. The MB and PSU documentation are absolutely worthless.

Solution
^ Yep, although max core temp is 98C (or 208F). You're just fine, especially with 82-84F ambient. Ambient temps can affect CPU temp (and other system temps) greatly.

If you think slightly over 110F is bad, just wait until you run your first stress test, lol. Depending on whether or not you OC and how far you go with it if you do, 60C+ (140F+) is very common when stress testing.

Gallarian

Distinguished
In celcius:

CPU temps should be lower than 75 C on load

GPU temps should be lower than 90 C on load

I think that translates to around 165F for the CPU and 190F for the GPU, so in other words you're absolutely fine.

As for the PWR FAN1, that is there if your PSU came with a little wire that specifies that it needs its fan to be powered from it. If there is no wire, then you dont need it.

^ Yep, although max core temp is 98C (or 208F). You're just fine, especially with 82-84F ambient. Ambient temps can affect CPU temp (and other system temps) greatly.

If you think slightly over 110F is bad, just wait until you run your first stress test, lol. Depending on whether or not you OC and how far you go with it if you do, 60C+ (140F+) is very common when stress testing.

Solution

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
When I mentioned in my first post that the ambient temp was 82-84 degrees F, it was the room temp at that moment, on that day. I live on a boat, and sometimes the temperatures get up to and even above 100 degrees F. I'm certain that the CPU, MB, and RAM temps will be even hotter than that.

Should I worry, or is that CPU cooler cable of "dropping" the temperatures enough to at least protect the CPU? My case fans will be blowing already hot air into the case! If it's 100 or more degrees F in the room, I have no idea how that might translate to temp readings inside the case??

Gallarian

Distinguished
If your that worried, dont go on your PC on a hot day! haha

Your Hyper Evo should do a very good job on keeping you CPU at suitable temperature, but if worst comes to worst, your PC will shut off before temps get hot enough to cause damage. If that ever happens though, leave your PC off for a while before rebooting.

Fans usually create cold air even from warm air due to the force they create (for example, breath slowly on your hand = warm, fast = cold) so even if the room air is a little warm, you should still get colder air being blown into your case - though it would help to keep the Tower on the floor, rather than an elevated position.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Thank you, Gallarian, for your nice replies. They are good answers and suggestions, except for the one about not using my computer; I'm addicted to it!

If I moved my case from the table it's sitting on now (12" away from me) down onto the floor.... I'd have to finally vacuum the dusty floor in my boat!
:non:

You'd probably laugh if you saw my table. My case is a Lian Li, PC-A70F aluminum FULL TOWER, which looks like a black HIGH-RISE BUILDING next to me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112342&Tpk=lian%20li%20pc-a70f

Gallarian

Distinguished
No problem mate :) - aren't we all!

Haha, well having it on the floor may only help a little, cos obviously the cold air will accumulate down there, so its up to you whether its worth busting out the vacuum! Though if its a carpeted floor, I wouldnt advise it anyway :p

Yeah that case is pretty big lol Would be nice for it to have a vented top panel, but Im sure those 2 120mm should do a fairly nice job :)

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Gallarian, actually the case has 4 or 5 fans; 2each 140mm inputs and 2each 120mm outputs, and the Seasonic PSU fan (which doesn't blow air at all?). At least, I and other people cannot detect any air movement.

I am too novice to know whether or not it's defective, or else if it's supposed to operate that way. Seasonic's so-called "technical support" is the most worthless I've ever encountered, so asking them wouldn't accomplish anything!

Gallarian

Distinguished
Sorry I meant to include the words 'of getting the hot air out' at the end of the sentence - as in its only 2 fans that are doing that, which should be fine :)

Haha, good tech support is a rare thing indeed.

As I said earlir in thread, unless your PSU came with a small wire separate to the others that connects directly to the MoBo, then the fan should spin up of its own accord - if it doesnt, and you can see that the fan clearly isnt spinning then it might be faulty. However, it may be working but doesnt need to be at a high RPM in order to keep your PSU cool.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks again, Gallarian. You are 100% correct when saying "...good tech support is a rare thing indeed." It's because of that, I cannot find any references about that in either of the so-called installation guide pamphlets pertaining to that ASRock MB pin, or the PSU fan controller (wire).

For some reason, I can no longer EDIT my own posts. The forum(s) tell me I can't do it. I tried several times to edit/delete the double post in my earlier message without success. Oh, well.

I selected one of your replies to me as "Best Answer," although each one was a good answer!

I'm on my old computer now, but am going to switch back to my new computer shortly. Have a great day!

Gallarian

Distinguished
Youve selected the only reply that wasnt mine as best! :O haha

About the post editing; for some reason its buggy, I dont think it lets anyone do it that way. BUT you can do it by using the 'Quick Edit' button (the dark grey one next the the normal 'Edit' one) :)

TRENDING THREADS