Sign in with
Your question

Which is the best thermal paste for my needs/cpu

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2012 1:26:36 AM

I have an AMD FX-8120 running the stock paste and air cooler, ive only had it for a month now and in the first week or so the idle temp was around 18c and maxed out on a stress test (ycruncher) i was getting around 55c , but now i think the stock paste has past its use because the idle temp is now 40c and stressed out its hitting around 70c. bear in mind that there are 3 12cm high airflow case fans running a 'pull through front and out the back' method (room is also well ventilated and pc is on desk (seems cooler than when it was on the floor)).
i havent overclocked it yet because in the first week or so i was still setting up win7 and installing everything but then ofcourse it started getting a little hot so i thought its probably best not to oc it just yet. the motherboard is also set on its default setting of when its idle to reduce clock speed to 1.5ghz and when windows needs a little boost it ups the speed from the default 3.1ghz to 4.0ghz.
The PC has itunes running most of the time because im always listening to music (itunes likes to drink about 10% of my 8gb ram!) and firefox/internet explorer. i havent played many games on it because it gets too hot and loud. so what thermal paste do you recommend? I was looking at something like a mx-2 or a mx-4?
I used arctic silver on my ps3 but after 2 months thats seeming to wear away.

Also i have a side fan (one on the front pulling in, one on the back pushing out and one on the side pulling out) i was thinking that maybe i have the fans wrong because I think the front fan is pulling air in but before the cool air gets chance to cool the components the side fan is pushing it back out. so maybe have the side and front fan sucking air into the case and a high performance/high airflow 12cm fan on the back? what do you think?

More about : thermal paste cpu

June 21, 2012 1:33:40 AM

watters1996 said:
I have an AMD FX-8120 running the stock paste and air cooler, ive only had it for a month now and in the first week or so the idle temp was around 18c and maxed out on a stress test (ycruncher) i was getting around 55c , but now i think the stock paste has past its use because the idle temp is now 40c and stressed out its hitting around 70c. bear in mind that there are 3 12cm high airflow case fans running a 'pull through front and out the back' method (room is also well ventilated and pc is on desk (seems cooler than when it was on the floor)).
i havent overclocked it yet because in the first week or so i was still setting up win7 and installing everything but then ofcourse it started getting a little hot so i thought its probably best not to oc it just yet. the motherboard is also set on its default setting of when its idle to reduce clock speed to 1.5ghz and when windows needs a little boost it ups the speed from the default 3.1ghz to 4.0ghz.
The PC has itunes running most of the time because im always listening to music (itunes likes to drink about 10% of my 8gb ram!) and firefox/internet explorer. i havent played many games on it because it gets too hot and loud. so what thermal paste do you recommend? I was looking at something like a mx-2 or a mx-4?
I used arctic silver on my ps3 but after 2 months thats seeming to wear away.

Also i have a side fan (one on the front pulling in, one on the back pushing out and one on the side pulling out) i was thinking that maybe i have the fans wrong because I think the front fan is pulling air in but before the cool air gets chance to cool the components the side fan is pushing it back out. so maybe have the side and front fan sucking air into the case and a high performance/high airflow 12cm fan on the back? what do you think?

(i am also planning on getting a h40 liquid cooler next month, was going to get it today but my phone broke and i had a new htc)
a c 307 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 4:02:37 AM

It doesn't sound like air circulation is your problem. I was always an Arctic Silver 5 user, but am impressed with the newer Arctic Cooling MX-4. It seems to reduce my temps by several degrees C, all else being equal. Plus, unlike the AS5, the MX-4 isn't conductive.
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 5:18:41 AM

A hyper 212 EVO costs as much as the H40 and outperforms it! It even outperforms the much costlier H50/H60.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2012 5:24:45 AM

+1 ^ & the Thermal paste that comes with it is also quite good.
The Hyper 212 evo + AS5/MX-4 would further reduce your temps by 1-3c.
!