GPU directly connected to the PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakoni

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hello again. I've just purchased a new GPU Radeon HD 6570. This graphics card doesn't have connection for the power supply PCI cable to go in to,rather is powered directly by the mother board. Would this be a disadvantage and sign of low performance card. Could this put further pressure on my MB?

Solution
They are about equal in processing power, the 6570 is a lot more efficient than the 3870 but overall performance will likely be similar. The 6570 is really a lower end GPU, the 3870 was a high end GPU of its era and over a few generations they are about equal. A decent step up in performance would have been something like a 6770.

Take a look at the hierarchy chart for a quick reference of where cards stand
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html
The board is providing power even to cards with auxiliary power connectors. A PCI-e slot can provide up to 75 W of power, only cards needing more than that need auxiliary PCI-e power connectors. The 6570 is a low power card and correspondingly a low performance card, this should be obvious by its model name. It won't be putting any additional stress on your motherboard, the slot will be providing less power than it would normally for a card with extra power connectors.

Drakoni

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Providing this factor, the 6570hd would still be an upgrade from what I had 3870hd radeon which did in fact need to be connected through PCI power cable, correct?

They are about equal in processing power, the 6570 is a lot more efficient than the 3870 but overall performance will likely be similar. The 6570 is really a lower end GPU, the 3870 was a high end GPU of its era and over a few generations they are about equal. A decent step up in performance would have been something like a 6770.

Take a look at the hierarchy chart for a quick reference of where cards stand
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html

Solution

Drakoni

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks a lot hunter, I will use these charts for future references. Kinda bummed that these cards are completely similar, i hope I get at least +1 fps increase out of this. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.