System Boot Failure

MichaelinTn

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello everyone.

I have spent the entire day building my new gaming system.

ASUS P8Z68-VPRO/GEN3
Intel i5 2500k
WD 1Tb Caviar Black 7200 rpm 64 Mb Cache
ANTEC 750W Red
Nvidia GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 Factory OC

My problem is that when I try to boot the system for the first time. I can't get it to pass the POST (power on system test). The boot device failure light comes on and stays on. The system speaker beeps once, which according to the asus manual means that the keyboard was not detected. However the keyboard powers up. It is a new keyboard , but it simply plugs in through a usb port. I can hear the hard drive spinning up. I had originally bought a wireless keyboard and mouse, when they failed to work on the new computer I tried them on a system that I knew was operational. The wireless setup failed to work there also. I took them back and bought a more straight forward keyboard, and a different wireless mouse. Still no luck.

I am tired , out of ideas , and in need of some sleep. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. If I left out any important information I appologize in advance.

Thanks
Michael

One beep usually means everything is working just fine in the core.

That means processor, motherboard, ram, and video card.

I, too, would like to hear what RAM you have in any event, because it is quite important, but my gut feeling after hearing that you have 1 beep is that the problem probably isn't with the RAM.

The stuff I would like to hear more about in addition is what you are using for a boot device right now.

Do you have some random CD drive with a bootable CD in it? Otherwise, what?

MichaelinTn

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
This was a real DeeDeeDee!! moment. I have never had a large graphics card before, and I simply did not know that i had to have both the 4 and 6 wire power cables plugged in for the damn thing to work.

Sad isn't it.

I connected both cables and my new system took off like a rocket.

thanks for the input.

Michael