Organize incomming calls

Last response: in Technologies
August 1, 2005 2:48:58 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if someone has ever heart of the following on a mobile
phone.

I would like to have the possibility to organize incomming calls on my
phone.

For example
1. If dick calls me, he will get a voicemail
2. If Clark calls me my phone will ring (and I know clark is calling me)
3. If Chris calls me, he will get a message that I am not able to pick up
the phone and he can not speak in a voicemail.

Technically this should be possible, but every store in town (The
Netherlands) think this is brilliant, but nobody knows of an phone that has
this option.

Who knows a phone that can do this?

Rsnel
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:41:55 PM

Reinald Snel wrote:

> I would like to know if someone has ever heart of the
> following on a mobile phone.
>
> I would like to have the possibility to organize incomming
> calls on my phone.
>
> For example
> 1. If dick calls me, he will get a voicemail
> 2. If Clark calls me my phone will ring (and I know clark is
> calling me)
> 3. If Chris calls me, he will get a message that I am not
> able to pick up the phone and he can not speak in a voicemail.
>
> Technically this should be possible, but every store in town
> (The Netherlands) think this is brilliant, but nobody knows of
> an phone that has this option.
>
> Who knows a phone that can do this?

Your examples 1. and 3. rely on an active call diversion. While
call diversions can be set from phones, they are actually
implemented by the network itself. The settings are not stored
on the phone or SIM. Try to change a diversion while you're
out of a coverage area - you can't.

The functionality you require is therefore not going to be
available on any phone unless supported by the network. The
bad news is that this level of control is well outside present
GSM specifications. Only 4 types of diversion are specified:

1) busy
2) not answered
3) not available (switched off or doesn't respond to paging)
4) all calls

These are separately configurable (where applicable) for voice,
data and fax calls.

John
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:04:49 PM

Reinald Snel wrote:

> I would like to know if someone has ever heart of the
> following on a mobile phone.

> 3. If Chris calls me, he will get a message that I am not
> able to pick up the phone and he can not speak in a voicemail.

Adding to my previous reply, this one could be implemented on a
phone itself, with a list of numbers to be handled in this way.
The caller's bill would indicate that your phone answered the
call.

John
August 2, 2005 12:18:54 AM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, at 22:48:58 [GMT +0200] (06:48:58 Monday, 1 August 2005
where I live) "Reinald Snel" wrote:

> Technically this should be possible, but every store in town (The
> Netherlands) think this is brilliant, but nobody knows of an phone that has
> this option.

I remember (at least I think I do) seeing a software package that could do
something like that for Symbian OS phones.

--
Do you like me for my brain, or my baud?
Anonymous

John Phillips wrote:

> I remember (at least I think I do) seeing a software package
> that could do something like that for Symbian OS phones.

You're quite right about the possibilities. An "answering
machine" (as distinct from true voicemail) could be built in to
a phone, and even have different greetings and/or behaviour for
different groups of callers.

But because diversions are network-controlled, only one
divert-to number could be used. Technically, a phone could be
programmed to trigger that diversion (rejecting the call) for
all callers from a list. Of course GSM phones generally allow
you to reject individual calls (triggering the diversion if
configured) by pushing the "hangup" key before answering an
incoming call.

John
!