Prevent Win 7 from auto downloading HP Laserjet 2800 driver

blaunel

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello,

How do I prevent Win 7 from automatically downloading the HP Laserjet 2800 driver for my Epson AL M2800 printer? This driver becomes the default driver (and does not work) over the Epson Universal Laser P6 (which does work). Everyday, when turn on my computer, the HP driver is reloaded (no way to stop it). Unless I remove it, I cannot make the Epson driver the default. I've tried GPEDIT.MSC to enable and disable auto downloading where appropriate, but zilch. Also tried to alter Windows update so that it would ask me, but it doesn't. Any ideas. Many thanks, David

929777_upd_vista_12.gif

Is it downloading it, or installing it from a driver that is already on your system?

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Another option that I have used on Win 7 Ultimate is to open "Devices and Printers".

Right click on the printer and select "Printer Properties".

In the lower left corner select "Change Properties".

Click on the "Advanced" tab.

On the line that says "Driver", left click on the printer name. You will now see a drop down window of all printer drivers that have been installed on your system. Pick the correct one. Then click on "Apply". Click "OK" and exit out.

This has always worked for me.

blaunel

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Changed the Update Settings to notify me and let me choose to accept or not download and installation, but it does not help with this particular recalcitrant download. Thanks anyway.

blaunel

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Like I wrote, it downloads the HP driver from the Web, because I remove it from the system everyday and select the Epson Universal Laser P6 printer as my default.

If I leave the HP Laserjet 2800 driver printer (i.e., not remove it) and only change the default to the Epson P6, it automatically reverts back to HP when I close the box.

An imposible situation; I assume it's registry job which I am not about to attempt on my own.

Thanks,
David

blaunel

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Sorry Turk, doesn't work for me.