Sign in with
Your question

The old nvlddmkm issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2012 1:06:27 AM

I've built a new system this past month and have never had so many hardware issues in my life.

AsRock Extreme4 Gen 3
i7 2600k
evga GTX 580 sc
16gig 1866 ram
WD 6gb/s 1tb HD

Originally I was running and old radeon HD 5750 graphics card on this rig until it died. Replaced it with the GTX. After that my onboard sound broke on my mobo. Wasn't happy that a month old mobo already broken so I exchanged it for the asus equivalent. This one was DOA. I exchanged it again back to an AsRock Extreme 4 Gen3. Set it up and the first PCIe slot was broken. Exchanged once more for another AsRock and finally it all worked.

I installed vista32bit fine, then ran windows update. running windows update a few times is when I got the display driver nvlddmkm has stopped working and recovered error. This happens instantly whenever I try to load any game or even open a browser. I can only have my computer sit on my desk top. I googled the error and have tried many fixes. The only one I can't get to work is the changing the nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old and copying the nvidia nvlddmkm_sy over to the windows/system32/drivers folder and then expanding nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. Whenever I try to do this it tells me it cannot open the file even though I am running command prompt as the administrator.

I am unsure of where to go here other than replacing the graphics card. Does anyone know of any other solutions that have worked for others or why the command prompt is failing for me?

More about : nvlddmkm issue

a c 253 U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 1:29:49 AM

I do have a question and in your post you said that you loaded Vista 32 bit , is that correct? If it is then why do you have 16gb of ram? A 32 bit Windows can only see and use 3.5gb of ram so 12.5gb of ram is sitting there not being used. I'm hoping you made a mistake and ment to say 64 bit.
Maybe it's time for Windows 7 64 bit. Vista is not a very good OS and should be replaced. You do not need to return the video card , if it is a driver issue then you need to fix the driver. I would completely uninstall the video card and the drivers. Then install the card usinf the install cd and after it is installed then update the drivers.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:35:07 AM

Man, i had this error not long ago on Asus P5QC motherboard. It kept giving me errors with my GTX460. It was impossibe to do anything because the driver kept crashing. I tried my cousins Radeon 6850 in the same motherboard and it worked flawlessly. So i assumed that my GTX460 was faulty. But guess what? My cousin put it into his pc and my GTX460 works as it should there. So no clue what could have been wrong.

All in all i replaced my motherboard (P5QC one wasn't too good tbh anyway) and i still have this radeon 6850 of my cousins. I have to try my GTX460 in this new mobo tho, but i suspect its gonna work as it has to.

If i was you i would try your GTX in some of your friends computers just to be sure its not your graphic card.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2012 1:41:20 AM

inzone said:
I do have a question and in your post you said that you loaded Vista 32 bit , is that correct? If it is then why do you have 16gb of ram? A 32 bit Windows can only see and use 3.5gb of ram so 12.5gb of ram is sitting there not being used. I'm hoping you made a mistake and ment to say 64 bit.
Maybe it's time for Windows 7 64 bit. Vista is not a very good OS and should be replaced. You do not need to return the video card , if it is a driver issue then you need to fix the driver. I would completely uninstall the video card and the drivers. Then install the card usinf the install cd and after it is installed then update the drivers.

Yes I said windows vista 32bit. I am replacing the OS with Windows 7 64 bit later this week as it is a shitty OS. Perhaps that will fix the problem, perhaps not.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers of the card a few times, trying beta, current and past drivers.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:41:50 AM

Dragane said:
Man, i had this error not long ago on Asus P5QC motherboard. It kept giving me errors with my GTX460. It was impossibe to do anything because the driver kept crashing. I tried my cousins Radeon 6850 in the same motherboard and it worked flawlessly. So i assumed that my GTX460 was faulty. But guess what? My cousin put it into his pc and my GTX460 works as it should there. So no clue what could have been wrong.

All in all i replaced my motherboard (P5QC one wasn't too good tbh anyway) and i still have this radeon 6850 of my cousins. I have to try my GTX460 in this new mobo tho, but i suspect its gonna work as it has to.

If i was you i would try your GTX in some of your friends computers just to be sure its not your graphic card.

My god I hope its not the mobo...again.
m
l
January 3, 2012 4:27:26 AM

Mobo is bad. Upon testing the 2nd graphics card slot and reinstalling drivers it worked great. Moving the graphics card back over to the first slot caused it to fail again.
m
l
!