Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors

Last response: in Components
June 21, 2012 3:46:29 AM

Hi all,

Quick question here. The case I ordered has four 3-pin fans, but the board I have (Sabertooth Z77) only has 4-pin fan connectors. How do I go about connecting the 3-pin fans to the mobo? Do I connect the 3-pin connector to the left and leave the last pin on the right loose, or the other way around?

Thanks for the help, never had this issue pop up before.

More about : pin pin fan connectors

June 21, 2012 3:59:51 AM

You should be safe to connect a 3-pin to a 4-pin. As far as I am aware 4-pin connections are for fans with higher power consumption and fan control. You should be fine to have a pin remaining.
June 21, 2012 4:02:32 AM

RichR17 said:
You should be safe to connect a 3-pin to a 4-pin. As far as I am aware 4-pin connections are for fans with higher power consumption and fan control. You should be fine to have a pin remaining.

Thanks Rich. From what I know the fourth pin is exactly as you said, for more advanced fan control features. My CPU after-market fan has that function, but the standard case fans don't. I purposely bought a case with large (200mm) and quiet fans so I wouldn't need to have control over them.

Do you know if it matter whether I connect the three pin to the left or to the right of the four pin connector? In other words, either I'll have the far left pin exposed or the far right. I don't think it really matter, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks again for the info :) 
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2012 5:25:54 AM
a c 111 ) Power supply
June 21, 2012 7:20:13 AM

It's fine, if you need any more info, refer to the link above^^
June 21, 2012 1:42:56 PM

Best answer selected by Rockman1974.
June 21, 2012 1:55:25 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. This eases my mind :) 
!