Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Help - Screeching Noise :(

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 8:51:38 AM

Hello, I just built my new computer yesterday and all seemed fine until I tried playing Minecraft. I wanted to test it out and see how it dose but when I got into the game I noticed a fairly load screeching noise coming form my computer. It seems like it is coming from the lower end of the motherboard but I'm not positive. I have not tried any other games yet and I am quite worried :( 

my parts are:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155
EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi)
Intel Core i5-2500K
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer

Any help is greatly appreciated!

More about : screeching noise

March 6, 2012 10:48:41 AM

does it sound like it is coming from the northbridge fan? you know that little 1" diameter or so fan on the motherboard? they have been known to go bad, you might just have had bad luck. if its that then you can get an RMA and a new board.

or see if its another fan if that is not the case.

screeching is normally a fan of some kind.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:11:30 AM

thank you for the reply, but i have found the source of the noise. it is coming from the graphics card... I shut down my computer and removed the card I'm using the on board video at the moment and the screeching noise stopped.

Is there a reason or a fix to stop the screeching noise and is it bad?
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 11:14:07 AM

Did you have both six pin power connectors connected to the graphics card when it was screeching?

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:22:04 AM

yes of course, the card came with two 6 pin too molex adapters but I did not use them and I used two 6 pin plugs directly from my power supply. I did this because both of the adapters required two molex connection each (for a total of 4 molex connectors) but my power supply only has 3.
m
l

Best solution

March 6, 2012 12:10:12 PM

Possibly a faulty fan on the GPU.
If its new RMA it, if its not under warranty, replace the cooler or fan.
March 6, 2012 12:39:16 PM

All right, thank you all the the reply, I have submitted a RMA. Hopefully the new one I'll get works properly.
m
l
March 6, 2012 2:54:32 PM

yeah.. its the fan.
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:25:52 AM

Best answer selected by cam69.
m
l
!