BMB041

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello, everyone. Since this is my first visit here, I was pretty stumped by all the different sub-categories you have. Hopefully this is the right one... Otherwise, my apologies. :p

I've been using a laptop for a few years, and I mainly use it on my desk at home or at work. However, I've been wondering: is it possible to connect my laptop directly to my PC? Not just the screen; I want to be able to use my laptop's keyboard/touchpad/screen to access and use programs that are installed on the PC itself (since it's a bit more powerful).
Is there any way to do this without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance :)

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
There are a few programs to run like this, the website listed above is probably the best current offering, but there are other RDP (remote desktop protocol) solutions available.

The problem is that you need to be honest what programs you are going to run on the desktop vs the laptop and the relative speed of each. By using the network to access programs on the desktop you will be running a much slower interface than when you interact directly with the desktop. IF the program you use does some very complex CPU calculations that don't require much input or output, then you'll notice that you complete tasks faster. If your using basic programs, productivity software etc... Your laptop will be more effective than the remote connection.

The misconception is that having two computers working is faster, but its actually much slower. The best use case for a remote connection is tech support (mom calls needing help with her PC "But I clicked on the squigliy thing but nothing happened") or the eventual "*$%$ I left the file on my PC at home."

BMB041

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

Thanks for the advice, but I got a few things to add to this.
At the moment, my pc doesn't have an internet connection, so the aforementioned site can't work for now. I'm well aware of the misconception, accessing a computer through another one can decrease performance. I just wondered if there was a way to do so without too much performance loss. I intended to use it for office programs/watching or converting movies.

Note that I don't want to reach my home pc while at work or the like. Just when I'm home. It's also not far off from my desk, so I might be able to put a cable - if necessary. You see, I already have a tv installed that's coupled with the pc, but using my laptop with it could be fantastic.

Sorry for the complex situation, but I'm stumped too :pt1cable: