fast compact flash cards?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the Sandisk
Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a mistake. I am using a
Canon A80.

thanks,

Pat
10 answers Last reply
More about fast compact flash cards

    Pat wrote:

    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the Sandisk
    > Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a mistake. I am using a
    > Canon A80.

    Find the max write speed specs for your camera. There is no point in buying
    a card faster than the camera can write.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the Sandisk
    >>Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a mistake. I am using a
    >>Canon A80.
    >

    > Find the max write speed specs for your camera. There is no point in buying
    > a card faster than the camera can write.

    My D70 rates at 5500 Kbps, that's half a MB/sec right? My 2GB microdrive
    seems to take about 4 seconds for the green light to turn off with about
    6MB of RAW plus jpeg. I can burst only three at that setting (dozens in
    lesser jpeg modes). 6MB/4sec = 1.5MB/sec so I'm already pretty much
    maxed out?

    My Hitachi 2GB microdrive also takes about 20 minutes to download when
    full. That's 1,200 seconds and 2,000 MB so about 1.6MB/sec. if I did
    that right.

    A $180 Sandisk 60x ultraII 2GB card for example runs at 9MB/sec, I
    believe (maybe that was the 80x). If a normal USB reader could do
    9MB/sec I could download 2GB in 3 minutes instead of 20 minutes, that
    would be nice. I'm not at all sure my card reader is everything it could
    be, it came with the camera and doesn't have any specs listed.

    Can anyone clarify some of this?

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Stacey wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the
    >> Sandisk Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a
    >> mistake. I am using a Canon A80.
    >>

    > Find the max write speed specs for your camera. There is no point in
    > buying a card faster than the camera can write.

    Actually, there is. You can dramatically reduce image download speeds
    when using a USB 2.0 hi-speed reader when using a higher-speed card. I
    would recommend the so-called 60X or 66X cards (9 or 10MB/s).

    David

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the
    >>> Sandisk Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a
    >>> mistake. I am using a Canon A80.
    >>>

    >> Find the max write speed specs for your camera. There is no point in
    >> buying a card faster than the camera can write.
    >
    > Actually, there is. You can dramatically reduce image download speeds

    I don't sit at the computer watching the "download indicator" when I'm
    transferring my cards. I guess if you do, this is important?

    --

    Stacey

    Paul Furman wrote:
    []
    > A $180 Sandisk 60x ultraII 2GB card for example runs at 9MB/sec, I
    > believe (maybe that was the 80x). If a normal USB reader could do
    > 9MB/sec I could download 2GB in 3 minutes instead of 20 minutes, that
    > would be nice. I'm not at all sure my card reader is everything it
    > could be, it came with the camera and doesn't have any specs listed.
    >
    > Can anyone clarify some of this?

    You would need a USB 2.0 hi-speed reader, interface and drivers on your
    computer to approach this.

    David

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:
    > []
    >
    >>A $180 Sandisk 60x ultraII 2GB card for example runs at 9MB/sec, I
    >>believe (maybe that was the 80x). If a normal USB reader could do
    >>9MB/sec I could download 2GB in 3 minutes instead of 20 minutes, that
    >>would be nice. I'm not at all sure my card reader is everything it
    >>could be, it came with the camera and doesn't have any specs listed.
    >>
    >>Can anyone clarify some of this?
    >

    > You would need a USB 2.0 hi-speed reader, interface and drivers on your
    > computer to approach this.

    OK so it would download faster. New computer, very simple new reader.
    Sounds like I was right about my current card maxing out the camera
    though, that's a bummer.

    What spec and cost would a slower CF be to simply match camera performance?

    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?page=searchresults&searchinfo=2gb%20cf
    has 20x for $150 which isn't much cheaper

    It would be nice to download faster though.

    --

    Stacey wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    []
    >> Actually, there is. You can dramatically reduce image download
    >> speeds
    >
    > I don't sit at the computer watching the "download indicator" when I'm
    > transferring my cards. I guess if you do, this is important?

    Try downloading three 2GB cards over a USB 1.1 "full-speed" link and
    you'll soon tire of it!

    I just don't where the economy is if you pay 5% less for a third of the
    speed, which you may need for your next camera in any case. If it was 50%
    more just for the 10MB/s card, that's different. But you may need a
    computer made with the last two years, and USB 2.0 hi-speed reader and
    drivers to take advantage of this.

    David

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    > []
    >>> Actually, there is. You can dramatically reduce image download
    >>> speeds
    >>
    >> I don't sit at the computer watching the "download indicator" when I'm
    >> transferring my cards. I guess if you do, this is important?
    >
    > Try downloading three 2GB cards over a USB 1.1 "full-speed" link and
    > you'll soon tire of it!

    I'd just go make a sandwich or go surf the web for a while.. :-)

    --

    Stacey

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:47:38 -0400, Stacey wrote:

    >> Try downloading three 2GB cards over a USB 1.1 "full-speed" link and
    >> you'll soon tire of it!
    >
    > I'd just go make a sandwich or go surf the web for a while.. :-)

    Obviously, fast food would not be the food of choice for this
    application. :)

    Do flash cards like the Ultra II consume more battery power than a standard
    card?

    "Pat" <Pat@newstime.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast CF card? I see the Sandisk
    > Ultra II, but it is pricy and I don't want to make a mistake. I am using a
    > Canon A80.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Pat

Compact Flash Photo Canon Cameras