Asus M5A88M EVO motherboard
12GB corsair DDR3 1666Mhz RAM
Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply
AMD Phenom II x6 1055T overclocked by AMD to 3.2Ghz
LG super multi DVD drive
Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm hard drive
Windows 7 professional 64 bit

My problem is that when performing any computer tasks my computer will just randomly freeze up. The computer requires a hard reset after this point. This happens about every 10 days and occurs completely out of the blue. Im very unsure to what the problem could be (this is my first custom build) so im looking for help on the issue as it is beginning to get really annoying. Event viewer only ever shows the 'system did not shut down properly' error.

Also sometimes when opening programmes (mostly origin), windows 7 will randomly freeze up for a few seconds and then just work as normal.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

keep in mind that at this point in time you arent sure whether its hardware or software.

with computer issues you need to list as many details as you can and as many solutions as you have already tried.

-when did the problem start?
-or did it always do this?
-any unusual activity before the incidents started?
-did you install a program or driver before the events started?
-any power surges, static discharges, power blackouts?
-do you use a surge protector?
-are all of your parts secured in the case without loose connections?
-what is the ambient temperature?
-what is the temperature inside the case?
-do you think there is a overheating problem?
-how many fans do you have?
-auto controlled or fan control?
-if auto, (like cpu fan) are they getting loud?
-did you try to wipe your disk, format once or twice then try to reinstall?
-did you try another hard drive?
-did you run memtest to check for bad sticks?
-did you run any other program to test pc performance?
-etcetera......

at this point in time if the issue has always been occuring since system creation i would say to wipe, format, reinstall. then install one piece of drivers or software at a time to see if you get issues.

if it started occuring afterwards you can try a system restore to before that time.

My two suggestions:

Download and run a program called MemTest86+ You will need to have it on a bootable CD or a bootable thumb drive. This will need to be done while you are sleeping, because it can take a long time to do what it needs to do.

Also, I would like you to boot into safe mode and see if the problem keeps happening.

young1995

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
thanks i will try it out when i can. What can't i do in safe mode as i need full use of my computer and can't really stay in safe mode for like 10 days+ which is how long it will probably take to freeze up again. Also i forgot to mention when it freezes a buzz comes from the speakers for about 5 seconds and then ends.

Thanks again for your replies

young1995

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hi sorry to get back to you so late but i was distracted by college work. After running memtest like you said i got about 4 passes done without error. Since running memtest the system hasn't frozen for just over 4 weeks.

I used to notice that when i shut down the PC there was a static squeal present just before the pc turned off. this squeal also used to happen when the freezing occurred. After running memtest the squealing on shutdown stopped.

Because the squealing stopped and the crashing stopped around the same time im beginning to think they are in someway related.

Anyway about three days ago i updated my graphics drivers and the squealing when shutdown started again. I ran memtest and again the squealing has gone.

Do you have any clue to what this could be as i am starting to think it is related to the graphics drivers but i cant understand why running memtest stops the squealing.

Again sorry for the late reply but thanks for your help