Zakume

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I have a AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb running at the stock 3.0ghz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103809

I'm running Core Temp 1.0 and apparently my Tj. Max is 70°C, and just sitting idle on the desktop it was averaging 58°C with a max of 64°C. I started up a game, ran my browser for this website, and played something from youtube and as I'm typing this the temperature is going back and forth from 74-75°C with a max of 76°C. Now I may be mistaken, but I thought the CPU was supposed to shutdown when it reaches it's max temp, or at least cause some performance issues or something. I've been going on like this since I built the system in August 2010 and I haven't had any issue with it at all, but this temperature reading is very disturbing.

Now is this an incorrect reading, or should I be extremely concerned? I have not touched the thermal paste or any of the parts since I installed them, and like I said there have been zero problems. On a side note, I checked my GPU temps and they were actually below the average from the information I've gathered running at about 56-62°C under the conditions I stated above. The cores are running at about 50-80% load for #1 and 2, and 20-60% load for #3 and 4 as per Core Temp.

Any additional information I can provide.

Edit: Well it seems the problem was just dust buildup due to the fact that after cleaning it just now idling temp is sub 30°C. I'm still curious as to why the computer ran fine even at those temperatures, I thought that the CPU would melt or something?

Zakume

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Ah yea, had a feeling I wasn't supposed to bump, sorry mods >.<.

Program I ran to test the temps is Core Temp 1.0. Is there some other free software that is better/more reliable?