Sign in with
Your question

Raid Setup 2xSSD P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 5:12:20 PM

Hi gang.....I'm hoping someone can give me a little help with a build I'm doing tomorrow.
My question is raid setup.....how should I go about this? Should I use the Marvell SATA 6 connectors, or the Intel....and should I raid 0 or 1 or 5 .....your input is greatly appriciated. Hardware listed below.

P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i7 2600k
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB
CM V8 cooler

2-Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2

1-Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
March 6, 2012 5:36:37 PM

Should I use the Marvell SATA 6 connectors, or the Intel....and should I raid 0 or 1 or 5

What are you looking to accomplish.

RAID 1 will essentially give you two copies of everything, one on each SSD .... if one of the SSD's goes south, the other will keep you up and running. Toital size = the size of 1 SSD

RAID 0 will split the data between the two SSD's doubling read / write speeds, doubling capacity and give you great benchmark scores. If one SSD goes south, you lose everything. As far as real worl dperformance in gaming and typical applications, you'll be hard pressed to see a difference.

RAID 5 requires 3 units so is not applicable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I'd use the Intel controller, its faster.... benchies can be found on storagereview.com's SSD RAID test reviews.

m
l
March 6, 2012 5:39:22 PM

If you want to run RAID with the SSDs your choices are RAID 0 (performance) or RAID 1 (redundancy). I would run the SSDs in RAID 0 for best performance and keep things backed up on the Seagate Momentus drive. What does your MB manual say about which connectors to use for RAID?
m
l
!