6850 running slow in games

prazz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
By slow I mean I can't even get 125 constant on call of duty 4 and in battlefield 3 I get stutters. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers several times but it never makes any change, and I am running the latest driver. Last night I had it working for a bit and could run cod4 on 200 stable and battlefield 3 was running fine and 50-60 with no stutters, but when I turned it off overnight and on again the next day it decided to do something with the drivers and now its running slow again.

I tried the same process I did the night before which made it run faster but it still runs slow, I'm really frustrated here can someone help me please?

Here are my specs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-M720-US3
Processor:
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs) ~ 2.8ghz
Ram:
4GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850

Anything over 50-60 fps is a waste, your eyes and brain can't process the data that fast. While it's fun to see high frame rates, it's like having 10 gallons of beer but you can only carry it in a 5 gallon bucket, the other half does not matter.

Could be the CPU, AMD CPUs are a few steps behind Intel in running most games.

prazz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Call of Duty 4 is a bit weird like that, I can see 50 fps on the fps counter but be blatantly lagging, it is also very unstable jumping up and down 50 fps randomly.

But I don't think it is my CPU as I am actually seeing worse performance ingame than my old graphics card, a GTS 250, worth about $40-50.

r_00n

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I don't know about you but I can easily tell the difference between 50-60 FPS and 120. I don't see the difference but I feel the difference in the way my mouse responds. Lets say at 50-60 FPS I wouldn't be able to land those really fast flick shots that happen at say 120 FPS.

This online? Same thing happen on a local game?

Unless you have a 120hz monitor, anything higher than 60 fps is a waste with the only exception being that if you get slow downs, with a higher framerate your slowdowns will be above 60 and therefore not perceptible.

The downside to higher than 60 framerate is that your frames get out of sync with the monitor. Usually this results in screen tearing, where two halves of the screen are slightly off from eachother. In other cases, it results in stuttering because frames are being skipped entirely.

Enable vsync for CoD4 and see if that helps.

For BF3, if you're online, it's probably a CPU issue as that game is seriously CPU demanding in large 64 player maps.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
hey try only the mannual driver which you had got from 6850 box this is the recommended setting i have tried man when i update my gt430 i got below 20 fps
in battlefield3 use v 266 ver sion will give me abve 25 fps so i would like to say use the old drivers for good gaming