Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rig built for Crysis maxed

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 6:43:29 PM

Hi! Ok so I am currently choosing parts for a gaming pc I want to put together around mid to late summer. My budget is around $1800 but it is flexible. I want it to be able to play any game at max settings, like BF3 and Crysis, but after reading around people are saying that it is STILL impossible to build a system to run Crysis on max settings smoothly the whole game. I'm just wondering what configuration of parts WOULD I need to be able to get a smooth consistent frame rate at max settings?

I was thinking of getting:

Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
2 GTX 660 Ti's SLI (or maybe a single 680 and then SLI later)
A good motherboard for Ivy Bridge, and then 8GB RAM

Any and all advice would be great! Thank you in advance!

More about : rig built crysis maxed

March 6, 2012 7:25:32 PM

I'm pretty sure an i5 2500K Sandy Bridge and a single Radeon HD 7970 can max out Crysis at 1080p. A Z68 chipset Mobo should do the trick and will be able to use Ivy Bridge incase you wanted to upgrade.
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:46:53 PM

aRodr1guez said:
I'm pretty sure an i5 2500K Sandy Bridge and a single Radeon HD 7970 can max out Crysis at 1080p. A Z68 chipset Mobo should do the trick and will be able to use Ivy Bridge incase you wanted to upgrade.

Oh you reminded me! I am looking at a single 1920x1080 monitor. And like I said, I'm not going to be building til summer, so the IB compatible boards should be out, right around when Ivy Bridge is released right? And I've heard that the 7970 is rediculously over priced, where the 660 Ti (Kepler) is SUPPOSED to be on par with the current 580, except the price of a 560 Ti, which I am considering getting two of and putting in SLI. I'm hesitant to go for a 680 (supposedly 45% better than the 7970) because I still have to consider my budget.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 8:03:57 PM

llguitargr8 said:
Oh you reminded me! I am looking at a single 1920x1080 monitor. And like I said, I'm not going to be building til summer, so the IB compatible boards should be out, right around when Ivy Bridge is released right? And I've heard that the 7970 is rediculously over priced, where the 660 Ti (Kepler) is SUPPOSED to be on par with the current 580, except the price of a 560 Ti, which I am considering getting two of and putting in SLI. I'm hesitant to go for a 680 (supposedly 45% better than the 7970) because I still have to consider my budget.

IB compatible boards are out as of now. If you mean manly for IB then I would assume so it only makes sense to. I wouldn't say the 7970 is over priced. It out performs the GTX 580 even the 7950 out performs the GTX 580 from what I've been told and the 7950 is around the same price if not cheaper than the 580. (7970 is about $100 more)
m
l
March 6, 2012 8:52:15 PM

llguitargr8 said:

Anything you've heard about performance is unreliable as the cards are not released, benchmarked, ect. If there are benchmarks, they are review samples or false and hardly comparable to what we will see at retail.

As for right now, the 7970 is the only card right now that can provide close to 60 fps Average. However you could get two 6950's or possibly two 560ti's, and be able to get a smooth experience (roughly 60+fps average) for cheaper. Of course it's better to get the best card you can afford at the time, and upgrade later to a second card for cf/sli.
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:36:29 AM

aRodr1guez said:
IB compatible boards are out as of now. If you mean manly for IB then I would assume so it only makes sense to. I wouldn't say the 7970 is over priced. It out performs the GTX 580 even the 7950 out performs the GTX 580 from what I've been told and the 7950 is around the same price if not cheaper than the 580. (7970 is about $100 more)

I know that current boards are compatible with it, but when IB rolls out, board makers are going to be making chipsets with IB in mind. As in, designed for IB where as current boards are compatible, but designed for SB. If they are still good, and the price of IB boards are a little high, then I will probably get an Asus P8Z68-V Pro.
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:39:51 AM

omega21xx said:
Anything you've heard about performance is unreliable as the cards are not released, benchmarked, ect. If there are benchmarks, they are review samples or false and hardly comparable to what we will see at retail.

As for right now, the 7970 is the only card right now that can provide close to 60 fps Average. However you could get two 6950's or possibly two 560ti's, and be able to get a smooth experience (roughly 60+fps average) for cheaper. Of course it's better to get the best card you can afford at the time, and upgrade later to a second card for cf/sli.

This is where I got those specs from http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeFo... Now obviously, we wont know what the specs are until they actually release. My real question for this thread is what hardware, if money was limited but had a high-ish budget, would I NEED to be able to play Crysis smoothly (50+ fps) at max settings, 4xAA, etc. with little to NO hiccups (obviously none would be preferable). Is the i5-2500K/3570K even enough to handle it?
m
l

Best solution

March 7, 2012 2:57:15 AM

llguitargr8 said:
This is where I got those specs from http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeFo... Now obviously, we wont know what the specs are until they actually release. My real question for this thread is what hardware, if money was limited but had a high-ish budget, would I NEED to be able to play Crysis smoothly (50+ fps) at max settings, 4xAA, etc. with little to NO hiccups (obviously none would be preferable). Is the i5-2500K/3570K even enough to handle it?

Focus more on the GPU and not the CPU. The i5 2500K can handle it when it comes to gaming. I don't know what the dude above me is trying to prove but there is no need to tri-fire. You'll be good with the 7970
March 7, 2012 3:48:41 AM

aRodr1guez said:
Focus more on the GPU and not the CPU. The i5 2500K can handle it when it comes to gaming. I don't know what the dude above me is trying to prove but there is no need to tri-fire. You'll be good with the 7970

So would you recommend a single high end card over two mid-high range cards, like the 560 Ti?
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:01:29 PM

Best answer selected by llguitargr8.
m
l
!