Matching Nikon camera to an Incident meter

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 4, 2005 5:48:57 PM

I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I have
taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing ISO values,
but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:49:39 AM

How much does it not match by? Is the camera using Auto ISO?
Are you using the meter to measure incident or reflected light?

Guy

John wrote:
> I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
> exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I
> have taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing
> ISO values, but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?
June 5, 2005 1:49:40 AM

Guy, usually off by one stop. I set the ISO, not on auto! With the camera
I am taking a reading from a grey card, with the meter, I am measuring via
incident. Both should match, considering I am taking a reading in the same
light, same light direction etc.
"Bigguy" <bigguy@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> How much does it not match by? Is the camera using Auto ISO?
> Are you using the meter to measure incident or reflected light?
>
> Guy
>
> John wrote:
>> I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
>> exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I
>> have taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing
>> ISO values, but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:29:48 PM

"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Guy, usually off by one stop. I set the ISO, not on auto! With the
camera
> I am taking a reading from a grey card, with the meter, I am measuring via
> incident. Both should match, considering I am taking a reading in the
same
> light, same light direction etc.

If your 5700 takes good pictures, I'd go with that. If not, use your
Minolta meter's settings on the 5700, and then check the histogram - and
scratch head?.
(My similar vintage CP4500 is normally pretty reliable, except when there's
bright cloud behind the buildings I'm shooting.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK