Upgrading for 480p streaming of starcraft 2 (400 EU budget)

ruggedcat

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi - I'm helping my brother upgrade his box so he can stream starcraft 2 at 480p (with 720p being possible, but not necessary since most of the time the connection wont be able to handle that) with the game at 1920x1080 at low graphics but playing crisply at a hopeful 60fps even in large battles (where currently he experiences lag). There is no intent to store the encoded video on hdd.

We've already established through tests we made and experience that the lag at either streaming or gameplay isnt caused by the connection or at least the net speed is far from a major factor in either of these cases.

Present configuration:

E7200 2.53GHz
nvidia geforce 8600 gts
4gb ram (ddr2 iirc) but on winxp 32-bit

-unfortunately i havent been able to take a look at what motherboard he has, but its unlikely we'll be able to keep it anyway-

Our planned budget is around 400 EU (without the cost of the necessary upgrade to win7 64bit) (we're in greece btw)

I dug around and came up with this configuration - we dont think its the gpu's fault so far, since the game runs fine with the exception of highly populated games:

i5 2500k (200 EU)
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (106 EU) (this is 4x4 gb dd3 with cl9 and 1600 MHz PC3-12800 - the identical dimms help since we can get two dual-channel pairs)
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (107 EU)

So my questions are:

1. will this upgrade help to achieve the streaming goal? its the main purpose of this upgrade, although he is quite uncomfortable with the lag spikes at the lategame

2. is there any compatibility issue with other minor peripherals or the gpu? i sorted through the device manager in winxp and it doesnt seem like there's much else besides the cpu, gpu and memory that can have such a problem and we're changing all but the gpu, so i think we're ok.

3. i've been seeing asrock mobos being mentioned a lot but i've never heard of them so i dont know if they're better for gaming/streaming pcs compared to gigabyte - in other words, are there obvious and better alternatives than the ones i've proposed above within this budget?

thanks for reading and sorry for the long and possibly hard to read post (tired and been missing sleep due to work :( )

ruggedcat

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
okey doke:

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible

Budget Range: 400 EU

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming 480p (capable of 720p if possible), playing starcraft 2 at low settings smoothly even in densly populated games

Parts Not Required: -

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.getitnow.gr, www.plaisio.gr

Parts Preferences: Intel, Gigabyte, Corsair

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (nvidia card in current config with not plans to upgrade)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: noisyness isnt critical since he wears headphones most of the time - would like to avoid extra parts for cooling - would be great if the upgrade made it future proof as well.

copying the present and planned configurations here, so you dont have to jump back and forth between my posts:

Present configuration:

E7200 2.53GHz
nvidia geforce 8600 gts
4gb ram (ddr2 iirc) but on winxp 32-bit

Planned configuration:

i5 2500k (200 EU)
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (106 EU) (this is 4x4 gb dd3 with cl9 and 1600 MHz PC3-12800 - the identical dimms help since we can get two dual-channel pairs)
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (107 EU)