Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quadro 6000 vs gtx 590

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 7:28:02 PM

hi again.
i am an architecture student and a gamer.
i am trying to find a monster graphics card that will handle games gorgeously and handle 3d modeling quite well.
i am aware of the diference between the quadro line and the gtx line.
again i am a student and wont be handling amazing amounts of 3d information.
if someone could give me some advise so that i may choose the best card for my needs??

More about : quadro 6000 gtx 590

March 6, 2012 8:39:49 PM

bustillomoreno said:
hi again.
i am an architecture student and a gamer.
i am trying to find a monster graphics card that will handle games gorgeously and handle 3d modeling quite well.
i am aware of the diference between the quadro line and the gtx line.
again i am a student and wont be handling amazing amounts of 3d information.
if someone could give me some advise so that i may choose the best card for my needs??

Unless you are manipulating huge datasets in a viewport in an advanced viewing mode like "Rendered Shadows" with software that is optimized for the Quadro, the gtx will be just fine and a lot cheaper. It would help to know what 3D software you are using since some programs that rely heavily on Open GL have recently experienced some issues with nVidia's game cards. I'm not certain that these issues exist with the gtx 590.
m
l
March 6, 2012 8:49:06 PM

i will be using autocad, revit, maya, 3d max, photshop
and for games i like to keep up...
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 9:03:17 PM

Quote:
what's your systems specs including your monitor configuration.?
I recommend the GTX series.
both cards Quadro and GTX has limitations that stop one from doing the others intended purpose to it's fullest extent.
but in general sense, the GTX is more versatile..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338684-31-need-advice...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 9:08:07 PM

The 7970 is probably the way to go instead of either one of those options.

It beats the 590 without the ridiculous cost of the Quadro 6000.

You could even get 2 of them for a fraction of the Quadro 6000s cost.

The only reason I would get the Quadro 6000 is if one of those programs specifically says on its website that it won't work with a non-Quadro card.

With the kind of cash you must have if you are considering the Quadro 6000, I would only be looking at 7970s otherwise.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 9:34:17 PM

Perhaps they run better on workstation cards than gaming cards, but there are videos on Youtube of people from Autodesk saying that Maya works just fine on the ATI FireGL workstation cards with Eyefinity.

I haven't looked at all the programs, but I doubt it would be any worse than a 590 in any of them, especially if it doesn't say so on the maker's website.

It could very well say on one of their websites that it specifically doesn't work on the 7970 and that would obviously be authoritative, but otherwise any slight performance dip on ATIs side would likely be covered up by the fact its just a better card than the 590.

Maybe the Quadro 6000 or a FireGL card is the best thing to use for the rendering and stuff and if that is of the greatest importance then one of those should be gotten if the cost can be afforded.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 10:05:25 PM

I disagree, since the default maya viewport is opengl gtx cards fail. I have to use viewport 2.0 or my 560ti lags worse than a 5670. It's easy to switch the viewport but the software doesn't care about brand. Nvidia is just used more commonly because there are cuda plugins and better support for their quadro users than amd gives to firepro users. Since you mentioned gaming, just go for a gaming card, they'll handle it. The workstations cards will handle the software better but you won't notice it til large projects. My 560ti has handled all my projects just fine and I've gone up to 2m polys. You never mentioned when you will buy this, but you might want to wait for the new nvidia cards, the 680 should be better than the 7970.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 10:40:05 PM

Mental ray is cpu based, it does not use the gpu at all. Both won't really have any issues with anything. It just comes down to performance really. I would say nvidia only because of a couple cuda plugins. But both get the job done.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 12:00:03 AM

Get either 590 or the 7970. Cheaper, and programs like Photoshop don't use CUDA, so you wouldn't notice adifference.
m
l
April 5, 2012 12:27:32 PM

in the name of Allah.
hello.
It's better that you use :"one Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075" in SLI mode.it can answer to all of that you want to do.
This Technology name is "Maximus"(Quadro + Tesla=Maximus).
But no,if you want to pay low money,the AMD 7970 is better.because it is 28nm and DirectX 11.1.
ya Ali(a).
Good By.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 7:07:50 AM

Quadro cards are very costly and price of 6000 is more the 3000 dollars. these gaming cards pretend to do everything but the dont do that correctly. as u r architecture student u will be mostly concerned with modeling lighting and texturing gaming cards can do most of the stuff but try to avoid them. If u can afford professional cards then go for those. Ati firepro cards are also there and they r cheaper the quadro cards. performance difference is about 10 to 15 % only. I have seen many people though at work the use quadro (company affords that) but for their personal use the buy Firepro.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 7:16:17 AM

also u wont need a quadro 6000 for learning purpose, these r for production oriented works. Even big companies dont have too many quadro 6000 cards. Unless u r very rich and 3000 - 4000 dollars wont pinch any hole in ur pocket, u can buy a quadro 6000 card
m
l

Best solution

April 6, 2012 7:44:35 AM

The best combination is to have best of both of the worlds.

Buy a quadro 4000 or even a 600 if you have and a gtx 580 3gb.

First install the quadro card intall pro drivers. then install geforce card and install geforce drivers . by this the geforce drivers will not be replaced by pro graphics.

By this you can use booth the cards. i have seen this some where i dont know if i find it i will post some links.

Hope this helps
April 22, 2012 2:34:13 AM

Best answer selected by bustillomoreno.
m
l
!