Will my graphics card work if my dog pees on it? (Serious Question)

alatinostripper

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I just got a new Radeon 6990. I put it on the floor for a minute and my dog peed on it. I'm not joking. Will it still work? I got it from newegg.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
simon12 did give you a serious reply I believe. When electronics get wet, the only thing you can do is let them dry out and hope that it works. We don't know what else to tell you, since no one else has likely experienced this problem...

At least I haven't, because if I spent $600-$700 on a graphics card, I wouldn't set it on a floor and leave it unattended.

If you have a can of compressed air you can use it to blow out any excess liguid that may be inside and then have the card in an upright position as you let it dry so any further excess liquid has a chance to run off. If you don't have a can of air then get one.

You can also try a vaccum.

alatinostripper

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Won't a vacuum destroy electronics?

G

Your dog is obviously an nVidia fanboy - get a cat

As far as the card goes I'd wash it with Isopropyl alcohol or ethanol and then dry it. Urine will have some corrosive, possibly conductive, components to it. I don't know what would happen if you just let it dry.

Only on Toms...

No it shouldn't because it's not pluged into the motherboard so there is no power on the card and if you put it on a woode table then there is no coductive material for a circut to be completed. I have used a vac on the inside of my computer with no after effects. Fisrt choice would be to get the can of air though because you would have better results blowing the liquid out.

ken b

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
A mouse voided itself the motherboard of a IBM PC-AT it worked fine for nearly a year after removing surface contamination. I installed an 80287 math coprocessor and experienced errors. Inspection of the motherboard revealed residue around math coprocessor socket that was adjacent to the area previously cleaned. Careful cleaning with alcohol decreased but did not eliminate errors. Full removal, cleaning, drying and re installation of motherboard was performed. Exhaustive testing showed no further errors and until 3 years ago was still in service as the front end to a plasma cutter.

Leakage current across traces due conductivity of the contamination is the primary concern even if surface corrosion is not evident. In the long run surface corrosion is not unlikely to occur particularly in higher humidity environments.

The restrictions on all but military or medical usage of typically r12 based aerosol cleaners eliminates your best option. Alcohol works well at dissolving contamination but you still must flush the area with water.

Good luck

Ken