Closed Solved

Temp folder writing permission by itself - page 2

69 answers Last reply Best Answer
  1. Kevpeg said:
    I'm using Windows 7 OS 64Bit and i am having problems with the Dropbox permissions each time i tried to start it.
    I followed the guide dropbox give you and tried to change the permissions at %user%\AppData\Local\Temp etc etc with no luck the error continued to appear.
    But then i added my user account giving full control to my user account at C:\Windows\Temp and it works now!
    Not sure for how long but it works, will report if the error happens again.

KP

Kevpeg,

This is a temporary solution. If you open Acrobat and then check your Temp permissions again, they will be back to what they were before. That means that if you restarted your system sometime after midnight, you'll still get the error upon start-up. The only permanent fix is what I posted above: uninstall Acrobat and get another version.
  2. w1lko said:

I have been having all of the same problems as everyone here, and I did a bit of searching; I am no computer programmer but decided the best solution was to write a batch file which starts on Windows startup using the icacls command resetting the folder permissions each time on startup granting "Everyone" full control. I then delayed the startup of programs using the Temp folder e.g. Google Drive and Box.net etc and since then no problems. here is the batch file code:-

@echo off
    cls
    title Temp File Permissions
    icacls %c%:\Users\%user%l\AppData\Local\Temp /grant Everyone: (OI)(CI)F

I am sure there are much neater ways of using icacls i.e. getting folders to inherit the properties etc and making it more secure, but this works. So, create a .txt file, drop this code into it (changing the drive and user name accordingly), save as a .bat file somewhere on your computer (i put in root of c drive), create a shortcut and drop that into your startup folder, delay any programs which have problems with accessing the Temp folder and hey presto.

W1lko, thanks for a solution which actually works. Previously rebooting or logging out of accounts caused the failure. I'd tried "six ways to Sunday" to fix this since it popped-up after a clean reinstall in February. After using your batch file and running it from the All Users Startup folder, I'm still good after three days and several reboots.

I put it in the All Users Startup folder because it's affecting the "productivity" PC shared by my family via separate accounts (as compared to my anti-productivity gaming box. :)

4/21/14 EDIT: Alas, it did not last, which is not really a surprise. I leave my PC on 24/7 as I participate in a BOINC distributed computing project. At some point permissions were rewritten and DropBox became unavailable again. Rerunning your batch file fixed it again, temporarily. Sigh.
  3. Well.
    The problem is not the amtlib.dll cracked, I put another version of that file and when I execute Adobe Acrobat XI the permissions of my temp folder are changed.
    It seems to be a protection putted for Adobe.
  4. The problem occurs also with a portable version of Adobe Acrobat XI.
    Has someone tried with other amtlib.dll files?
  5. dacker503 said:
    w1lko said:

I have been having all of the same problems as everyone here, and I did a bit of searching; I am no computer programmer but decided the best solution was to write a batch file which starts on Windows startup using the icacls command resetting the folder permissions each time on startup granting "Everyone" full control. I then delayed the startup of programs using the Temp folder e.g. Google Drive and Box.net etc and since then no problems. here is the batch file code:-

@echo off
    cls

I am sure there are much neater ways of using icacls i.e. getting folders to inherit the properties etc and making it more secure, but this works. So, create a .txt file, drop this code into it (changing the drive and user name accordingly), save as a .bat file somewhere on your computer (i put in root of c drive), create a shortcut and drop that into your startup folder, delay any programs which have problems with accessing the Temp folder and hey presto.

W1lko, thanks for a solution which actually works. Previously rebooting or logging out of accounts caused the failure. I'd tried "six ways to Sunday" to fix this since it popped-up after a clean reinstall in February. After using your batch file and running it from the All Users Startup folder, I'm still good after three days and several reboots.

I put it in the All Users Startup folder because it's affecting the "productivity" PC shared by my family via separate accounts (as compared to my anti-productivity gaming box. :)

4/21/14 EDIT: Alas, it did not last, which is not really a surprise. I leave my PC on 24/7 as I participate in a BOINC distributed computing project. At some point permissions were rewritten and DropBox became unavailable again. Rerunning your batch file fixed it again, temporarily. Sigh.

To all still looking for a solution. There is one... But even though there is good information here, it has not been mentioned... for good reason. All I can suggest is that you go and look where you originally came across the software or patch and look for a newer updated version.

I can't give any links as I can't condone piracy, but for those who're thinking of a permanent solution, it exists. More recently, newer cracks and patches were released over file sharing sites as well as torrent sites that's easier to use and doesn't cause the same problem. Just search for the new ones and use it to run Acrobat super smoothly without having to worry again.

Or, you can support the developers and buy this great software.

Good luck!
  6. purebloke said:
    dacker503 said:
    w1lko said:

@echo off
    cls

To all still looking for a solution. There is one... But even though there is good information here, it has not been mentioned... for good reason. All I can suggest is that you go and look where you originally came across the software or patch and look for a newer updated version.

I can't give any links as I can't condone piracy, but for those who're thinking of a permanent solution, it exists. More recently, newer cracks and patches were released over file sharing sites as well as torrent sites that's easier to use and doesn't cause the same problem. Just search for the new ones and use it to run Acrobat super smoothly without having to worry again.

Or, you can support the developers and buy this great software.

Good luck!

That's not true. I have addressed this.
  7. Hello,

I was lead to this post whilst searching for solutions to my Dropbox error encountered on PC startup - 'Couldn't start Dropbox. Permissions Error'. I tried the suggestions on this thread with various degrees of success. My short term solution (Dropbox specific, I think) was to open Dropbox manually using 'run as administrator' after Dropbox had automatically tried to run and had thrown up the permissions error. My long term solution to the problem, however, came when I finally got round to updating my AVG 2014 (upgraded to version 2014.0.4577). This fixed my Dropbox permissions error upon reboot without me having to do anything else.

Many thanks,

D
  8. Dave468 said:
    Hello,

I was lead to this post whilst searching for solutions to my Dropbox error encountered on PC startup - 'Couldn't start Dropbox. Permissions Error'. I tried the suggestions on this thread with various degrees of success. My short term solution (Dropbox specific, I think) was to open Dropbox manually using 'run as administrator' after Dropbox had automatically tried to run and had thrown up the permissions error. My long term solution to the problem, however, came when I finally got round to updating my AVG 2014 (upgraded to version 2014.0.4577). This fixed my Dropbox permissions error upon reboot without me having to do anything else.

Many thanks,

D

Dave,

This, too, is a temporary solution. AVG has nothing to do with this. The error resets every 24 hours.

Therefore, if you were to open Adobe Acrobat right now, your Temp folder permissions would change. If you then restarted your computer after midnight, then the Dropbox error will come back. This has been discussed extensively in this thread.

You need to uninstall your copy of Acrobat and install another, if you still need it. That is the only permanent fix.
  9. Kevpeg said:
    I'm using Windows 7 OS 64Bit and i am having problems with the Dropbox permissions each time i tried to start it.
    I followed the guide dropbox give you and tried to change the permissions at %user%\AppData\Local\Temp etc etc with no luck the error continued to appear.
    But then i added my user account giving full control to my user account at C:\Windows\Temp and it works now!
    Not sure for how long but it works, will report if the error happens again.

KP

Hello,
    So finally you got rid of it? Wich users and permisions did you write at C:\Windows\Temp? At security?
    I am having trouble with DropBox and I am not a computer expert at all...
    Thank you very much in advance.
  10. Ostelctio,

As I keep telling everyone, this is all one problem. You've obtained Adobe Acrobat from not-so-legitmate sources, correct? Then you upgraded to Windows 8.1?

I don't work for Adobe. In fact, even if you tried obtaining an alternate copy of this software, one that activates differently, your problem will be solved.

That posted solution, too, is unfortunately temporary. If you changed permissions and then opened Acrobat, they will change back, so you have to get rid of it.
  11. Malickfan86 said:
    Ostelctio,

As I keep telling everyone, this is all one problem. You've obtained Adobe Acrobat from not-so-legitmate sources, correct? Then you upgraded to Windows 8.1?

I don't work for Adobe. In fact, even if you tried obtaining an alternate copy of this software, one that activates differently, your problem will be solved.

That posted solution, too, is unfortunately temporary. If you changed permissions and then opened Acrobat, they will change back, so you have to get rid of it.

I uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat Pro and reinstalled Dropbox. When I start my computer Dropbox still gives me same message of temp permission error. Any thoughts on this? I was going to find an alternate version of Acrobat Pro but it seems like the problems lies elsewhere.
  12. Dagger444,

The problem is that Adobe Acrobat's cracked amtlib.dll file changed the permissions of your Temp folder. Since you removed the offending program, the permissions will not change on their own anymore. However, you need to manually set them back to their default.

Follow Locksmithone's instructions to do so: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/drive/zbazK_MeKRs/g5WlCDP_IcMJ
  13. Dagger444 said:
    Malickfan86 said:
    Ostelctio,

I uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat Pro and reinstalled Dropbox. When I start my computer Dropbox still gives me same message of temp permission error. Any thoughts on this? I was going to find an alternate version of Acrobat Pro but it seems like the problems lies elsewhere.

Dagger, did you only uninstall Acrobat Pro and reinstall Dropbox, or did you also change the permissions as suggested earlier in this thread? Thanks.
  14. This was weird. Now it seems to be working fine but I am not sure what the solution was!

I reinstalled Dropbox and downloaded a new version of Adobe Acrobat Pro. Here I still got the message of temp permission error. Then I updated my antivirus (avast). I started to follow the instructions in the link you gave Malickfan86, but I only did the first six steps (the error messages scared me off!). I am not sure whether any of the changes in permission actually went into effect. I restarted the computer and now I didn’t get the message. So either it was the antivirus or the permission, even though I only did the first six steps (I have followed the complete instructions now).

It probably was the changed permission that did it though. If I did it correctly I shouldn't get the same message within the next few days. Thanks for all the help!
  15. One solution that I found was setting dropbox.exe and googledrivesync.exe to run as administrators each time they are open. That way, although Acrobat will still change the permissions on boot for "Everyone", Dropbox and Drive will not be affected since they will run with admin rights.

Start > Type "Dropbox" > Right click > Properties > Comparability Tab > Run as admin
    Start > Type "Drive" > Right click > Properties > Comparability Tab > Run as admin

Only drawback is UAC prompts popping up on boot but that is less annoying than manually changing the temp folder permissions each time.
  16. Solution is simple
    1. Create one small partition in your hard disk (1 GB or less)
    2. Format that new partition with FAT32
    3. Put your personal temp folder in that partition
    4. Enjoy your cracked Adobe X1
    5. Say fuck Adobe :-)
  17. I just succeeded and wish to share the solution.
    If you can confirm that the 'can't start dropbox permissions error' is related to the installation of adobe acrobat XI, then I suggest you uninstall the adobe acrobat XI, check your installed programs to ensure no patches of the adobe acrobat are left behind, restart your system. If the problem persists, "system restore" worked for me. Simply restore your system to the point just before you installed the adobe acrobat and BAM! you are happy again... Hope this helps.
  18. Cool Fela said:
    I just succeeded and wish to share the solution.
    If you can confirm that the 'can't start dropbox permissions error' is related to the installation of adobe acrobat XI, then I suggest you uninstall the adobe acrobat XI, check your installed programs to ensure no patches of the adobe acrobat are left behind, restart your system. If the problem persists, "system restore" worked for me. Simply restore your system to the point just before you installed the adobe acrobat and BAM! you are happy again... Hope this helps.

It seems that Cool Fela is an Adobe employee. The solution is:
  19. Cool Fela said:

Please Cool Fela don't try to injury the PC users.
    You are trying to avoid the users enjoy Adobe Acrobat.
    Say your employers that their strategy was broken by elzorrozuluaga.
  20. elzorrozuluaga said:
    Cool Fela said:

It seems that Cool Fela is an Adobe employee. The solution is:
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows 8