Other GSM Networks

Last response: in Technologies
August 3, 2005 11:56:21 PM

I have a Motorola V188 and am a new T-Mobile user.

On my phone if I go to Menu/Networks/Available Networks I see Cingular and
CBW (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) in addition to T-Mobile.

The phone gives me a choice to register on any network. What would this do,
exactly, since I am a T-Mobile customer?

- Earl

More about : gsm networks

August 4, 2005 12:09:51 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:56:21 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
wrote:

>I have a Motorola V188 and am a new T-Mobile user.
>
>On my phone if I go to Menu/Networks/Available Networks I see Cingular and
>CBW (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) in addition to T-Mobile.
>
>The phone gives me a choice to register on any network. What would this do,
>exactly, since I am a T-Mobile customer?

The easiest thing to do is to put it on automatic selection. If you
are a T-Mobile subscriber it's more than likely you will *only* be
able to register on the T-Mobile network. The only time you can use
other networks is if your home carrier (in your case T-Mobile) has a
roaming agreement with those other networks. If no roaming agreement
exists you will be denied access to those other networks. Sometimes
if T-Mobile (or another network) does not have native coverage in an
area they will arrange to roam on another network. This is called a
roaming agreement. If there is none you cannot use any other network
other than your own.

- -
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:47:36 AM

E Jones <earl_jonesx@usax.net> wrote:
> I have a Motorola V188 and am a new T-Mobile user.
>
> On my phone if I go to Menu/Networks/Available Networks I see Cingular and
> CBW (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) in addition to T-Mobile.
>
> The phone gives me a choice to register on any network. What would this do,
> exactly, since I am a T-Mobile customer?

Either completely fail to work, or give you high roaming rates, depending on
the roaming agreements T-Mobile has with these other carriers.

miguel
August 4, 2005 10:45:28 AM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:47:36 -0500, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz)
wrote:

>E Jones <earl_jonesx@usax.net> wrote:
>> I have a Motorola V188 and am a new T-Mobile user.
>>
>> On my phone if I go to Menu/Networks/Available Networks I see Cingular and
>> CBW (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) in addition to T-Mobile.
>>
>> The phone gives me a choice to register on any network. What would this do,
>> exactly, since I am a T-Mobile customer?
>
>Either completely fail to work, or give you high roaming rates, depending on
>the roaming agreements T-Mobile has with these other carriers.

It will fail to work. T-Mobile is either you can make a call or you
can't. There are no "high roaming rates" in the US. All networks
that have roaming agreements are included on all national plans.
- -
August 5, 2005 1:47:22 AM

>.....or give you high roaming rates, depending on
> the roaming agreements T-Mobile has with these other carriers.
>
> miguel

No such thing. Free roaming means free roaming on standards plans with
tmobile.

Only plan you might get roaming charges is the pretty rare regional plan
with 3000 minutes for $49.99.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:05:47 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, at 21:47:22 [GMT -0500] (12:47:22 Friday, 5 August 2005
where I live) "Dan" wrote:

> No such thing. Free roaming means free roaming on standards plans with
> tmobile.

But not really "free" as in no $$$.

--

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that no one
appreciates how difficult it was.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:05:47 +1000, John
Phillips<flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, at 21:47:22 [GMT -0500] (12:47:22 Friday, 5 August 2005
>where I live) "Dan" wrote:
>
>> No such thing. Free roaming means free roaming on standards plans with
>> tmobile.
>
>But not really "free" as in no $$$.

Free as in no extra money other than the regular monthly line charge.
- -
August 7, 2005 12:59:54 AM

"John Phillips" <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, at 21:47:22 [GMT -0500] (12:47:22 Friday, 5 August
> 2005
> where I live) "Dan" wrote:
>
>> No such thing. Free roaming means free roaming on standards plans with
>> tmobile.
>
> But not really "free" as in no $$$.
>
> --
>
> The trouble with doing something right the first time is that no one
> appreciates how difficult it was.

Free as in it doesn't cost any different to make a call in chicago with a
t-mobile signal versus making a call in moline illinois with iowa wireless.
!