Hp1280c for windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrutherglen

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Have managed to get my HP1280C to run under Windows7 using the Vista driver. However, I need to print on banner paper and there is no banner paper option shown in the "Paper/Quality" list. When the printer was running under XP this option was available.

Any suggestions as manually feeding the banner paper is a no no. Wish HP had updated the driver for this excellent printer to be compatible with W7

Thanks

Solution

Hi :)

You could run it in a Virtual XP machine in windows 7 and the banner driver WILL work ...BUT you need Pro or Ultimate...

All the best Brett :)

Redrutherglen

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for suggestions folks. Tried resizing to Tabloid etc, but did not work. Stupidly I erased Windows.old from my comp with windows XP [more haste - less speed!] which would have worked. Will try, as suggested to see if I can find a Virtual XP machine that will do the job for me.

Redrutherglen

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi everyone - tried virtual machine but my comp does not support it! However did manage to clone all Microsoft Operation system programmes from an old laptop to an external bootable drive and got old HP 1280C setup and driver to work and recognise Banner print in the dropdown list from there. However, this not really satisfactory as text only half printing and lines won't print at all but when switch back to Vista version all is well again - so it would seem that even although you can get driver to work with XP compatibility, the text printing is useless! So have given up now but it is a shame cause the 1280 printer is great and no other printer to beat it so far for A3 print quality. HP should have updated the drivers for W7!!!!

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

When verifying both software and hardware compatibility for Windows 7 Microsoft does have the Windows 7 Compatibility Center available for your convenience. I have gone ahead and found that the HP Deskjet 1280 Inkjet Printer is indeed compatible with both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit.

The Windows 7 Compatibility Center also reports that installation for the HP Deskjet 1280 printer does not require additional software. What this means is that the printer should be able to download the necessary drivers direct from Windows Update. For more information, see Update a driver for hardware that isn’t working properly.

Should you continue to experience trouble with driver installation, you may wish to try the following:

• Disconnect the USB printer from the current USB port and reconnect it to a different port
• Download and install the drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit/64-bit, respectively. The drivers can be found here for Windows Vista 32-bit and here for Windows Vista 64-bit.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Hi Jessica :)

Unfortunately you do not seem to know what "Hardware Compatibility with Windows 7 actually means... :(

I own Computer and Laptop repair companies and shops in the UK ...

What that phrase actually means is...in real life....is...

YES if you plug in that printer (or many other older printers) it will "WORK" when you define work as actually PRINT.

BUT ...it will NOT allow most of its own software to work with Windows 7.....

We come across this all the time, when a customers older printer (after an upgrade) will print but as its own software wont work ...then as an example, its monitor sofware to show ink left WONT work and in most cases its scanning software WONT work....

So I would be careful about giving advice on a subject you seem to know little about......

All the best Brett :)

Solution

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if my response did not answer the question the OP asked as it has been asked several other times in this forum.

When Microsoft states a device is compatible they do so based off of the bullet points listed here under "How is product compatibility determined?". When a piece of software or hardware is identified to be compatible with Windows 7 it is typically done so by the manufacturers themselves stating a driver package is available or will soon be available.

Several users have posted in the HP forums in reference to the HP Deskjet 1280C printer as well. The work around that seemed to suffice for several users in question can be found here.

As you can see, this work around is merely to allow the device to install and print -- as you said. If the banner paper option was included in the software package that was a component of the HP Driver installer package, then yes, problems with that function may arise. This is a result of a driver software package not yet being available directly from HP as written for Windows 7 and not directly related to compatibility within Windows 7.

The advice I was offering was how to ensure the printer can indeed install and print properly within Windows 7 as specified by HP in addition to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center. The other possible solution that may work is to install the printer in Windows XP Mode with Windows Virtual PC providing the OP has Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 7 Ultimate just as you stated. However, the user must also understand that Windows XP Mode is a virtualized environment and is not recommended for graphically intense applications. This may be important if the banner to-be-printed in question requires a significant amount of detail from a graphic perspective.

I genuinely am here to help and I apologize for any misunderstandings. Thank you for your assistance and guidance as well. I'm sure the OP is grateful to have so many responses and people who wish to help.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro

Redrutherglen

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for all suggestions - much appreciated.

Finally, yes the 1280C printer will work with Vista but has printing basic functions and again as everyone suggests is compatible with W7 but again for basic printing purposes only. Neither of these operating systems will allow the full HP1280c software functions, e.g. banner printing, toolbox etc. which is extremely useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.