Sign in with
Your question

Long boot times

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 8:23:04 PM

So, I built a new computer a couple weeks ago, and I'm having a few problems with it. It's my first build, so nobody be mean to me :) . Here are specs:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
Motherboard: Intel DZ68BC Atx Z68
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 600-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory
HDD: Western Digital 2 TB SATA II 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch
SSD: Intel 320 Series 160 GB SATA 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW Edition
Optical Drive: LG Electronics WH12LS39K M-Disc 12X Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter and HD DVD-ROM Drive
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor

Okay, so problem number 1:
When I power on, all the fans, LEDs, etc turn on, but the the computer takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours to finally POST.

Problem number 2:
I plugged in my speakers to the sound card, and there is no audio... and I looked in the hardware menu, and the sound card is not even being recognized by the system, but I know it is getting power because there is a red LED on the back that lights up when the power is on.

Other than that, everything works perfectly. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!!

-Matt

More about : long boot times

March 7, 2012 4:47:20 AM

Not really sure on the boot thing. Based on your specs, it should boot pretty fast.

On the sound, have you loaded the sound drivers?

m
l
March 7, 2012 4:54:18 AM

mansline6788 said:
So, I built a new computer a couple weeks ago, and I'm having a few problems with it. It's my first build, so nobody be mean to me :) . Here are specs:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
Motherboard: Intel DZ68BC Atx Z68
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 600-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory
HDD: Western Digital 2 TB SATA II 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch
SSD: Intel 320 Series 160 GB SATA 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW Edition
Optical Drive: LG Electronics WH12LS39K M-Disc 12X Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter and HD DVD-ROM Drive
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor

Okay, so problem number 1:
When I power on, all the fans, LEDs, etc turn on, but the the computer takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours to finally POST.

Problem number 2:
I plugged in my speakers to the sound card, and there is no audio... and I looked in the hardware menu, and the sound card is not even being recognized by the system, but I know it is getting power because there is a red LED on the back that lights up when the power is on.

Other than that, everything works perfectly. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!!

-Matt

Only thing I can think of for slow boot times is perhaps wrong BIOS Settings. Go Into your Bios settings and Select LOAD Default. Also Please visit the Intel site and download there latest Bios and flash it.

The Sound card issue is Intels Mobo is defaulting. Right Click My Computer - > Click On Device Manager -> Open up Sound Video and Game Controllers. Uninstall Intel's audio/high def.

Recheck your sound card, make sure the ac97 and/or highdef connector is plugged into the appropriate pin section on Your X-Fi card. Visit creatives site and install the latest sound card drivers and programs.

Also default your sound to X-Fi Start-> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound - > Manage Audio Devices
Right Click on Creatives Speakers under playback, make sure its selected as the default Device
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 1:33:26 AM

tlmck said:
Not really sure on the boot thing. Based on your specs, it should boot pretty fast.

On the sound, have you loaded the sound drivers?

Tried to...Error message pops up that says:

"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program. Setup will Exit."
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:36:42 AM

Cloudz00x said:
Only thing I can think of for slow boot times is perhaps wrong BIOS Settings. Go Into your Bios settings and Select LOAD Default. Also Please visit the Intel site and download there latest Bios and flash it.

The Sound card issue is Intels Mobo is defaulting. Right Click My Computer - > Click On Device Manager -> Open up Sound Video and Game Controllers. Uninstall Intel's audio/high def.

Recheck your sound card, make sure the ac97 and/or highdef connector is plugged into the appropriate pin section on Your X-Fi card. Visit creatives site and install the latest sound card drivers and programs.

Also default your sound to X-Fi Start-> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound - > Manage Audio Devices
Right Click on Creatives Speakers under playback, make sure its selected as the default Device

Thanks for the help...I really don't have a whole lot of time to fix it because school 6 days a week and work 5 days a week, but as soon as May rolls around, you better bet I'm gonna be fixing it.
m
l
March 18, 2012 9:37:23 PM

Problem Resolved

Opened up the case, unplugged things one at a time and kept powering on and off until it worked...it was the video card...unplugged the GPU and audio card, plugged them into the other 2 PCIE slots, and everything worked perfect.

Thanks!
m
l
!