System not fully powering up

w3tworks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Please any tips on whats going on with my computer? I just turned it off to clean it out with compressed air (something I do once a month or so) and when i plugged it back in and pushed the power button, the system just cycles without loading Windows. The fans turn on, the video card lights up, I can hear the hard drive spin up. Then... nothing. It just shuts off like someone hit the reset button and restarts itself. Its been doing this now for about a half hour.

I tried unplugging the cd drive, then the graphics card, and finally the hard drive and restarting the computer to see if one of those was causing the problem, but unhooking those items did nothing. The system is still cycling. I have no idea where to even start trouble shooting.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L
Intel Core-Duo E5300 O.C.ed to 3.60Ghz Xigtek Loki
G.Skill 4GB Ram DDR2 800
Seagate 1TB 7200.12
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1GB
IDE CDROM
Corsair CX430 PSU
Lian Li K58 Case

Solution
Check all of you cables, connections, cards and memory sticks, you may have knocked one loose while cleaning the pc. You can also check your empty slots, PCI, Ram for dirt shorting the slots. Could also be a problem with your power supply or you power button. Check the connections first, and make sure your cpu cooler is working.

Mac

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Check all of you cables, connections, cards and memory sticks, you may have knocked one loose while cleaning the pc. You can also check your empty slots, PCI, Ram for dirt shorting the slots. Could also be a problem with your power supply or you power button. Check the connections first, and make sure your cpu cooler is working.

Mac

Solution

w3tworks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks Mac,

But I ran through all the typical stuff you mentioned. I finally got the system to post and boot up after removing a stick of RAM. I really have no idea what to make of it other than a failure at that point. The poor system has been through quite a bit over the last year including a very close lightning strike which took out the onboard NIC and the original PSU I bought when I built the system back around August 2010.

I have been suspect of the reliability of the system since the lightning strike and have considered myself on borrowed time. I guess its time to upgrade. I'll be posting a new system I've been working on the past few days, looking for any advice.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post.

w3tworks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
hehe=)

That build I made in august of 2010 was an upgrade from a p4 to a duo-core. I'm hoping for a similar result going from my duo-core to a 6 core AMD FX 6100. Mine won't be as impressive jump as yours, but I take such a great deal of satisfaction from building my own computers that any performance increases are just added bonuses.

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
The whole building thing was such a high! I only play COD so i only have a 460 video card but also play with photoshop ect. Ask for advice, if you need it, these fools on this website did me well and I am sure if you want advice it will come.

lm

TRENDING THREADS