Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2012 9:21:51 PM

Hello,

I'm hoping to build a computer, this is my first build so any advice appreciated.

I'm aiming to use my old NZXT case (everything will fit) and Sony DVD drive.
In addition i was wondering if i would be able to use the HDD from my Toshiba Laptop that recently died.
The HDD runs fine when i hook it up to my current pc. I was hoping to wipe it and reuse it, is this possible/ a good idea?

Old Laptop Make Model: Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965

HDD Info: 500.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a505-...

the rest of the build is laid out here
http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/5b59cc3057ef40c6bfad2...

do i need the heatsink? or can i just use the stock one? i don't intend to overclock.

Ideally I am looking for a bit of upgradeability and acceptable gaming (BF3 and other modern releases)

any advice on where to get a cheap OS?

I'm on a tight budget so trying to keep it as low as possible, preferably under £400 (i get VAT back where i live)

all advice is appreciated.

More about : budget gaming build

a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2012 11:55:55 AM

I agree sosofm in using the the stock cooler since the i3 can't be over clocked. I favor the Corsair and I have never had one go bad the OCZ one is in not currently in stock and this time.

you are pretty much stuck paying for Win 7 64bit home premium. unless you are a student some where and they have it at a discount or free.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-7-home... £60.07 w/o VAT

your HDD is going to be slow, but of course you already know that

removing the fan and adding the WIN 7 OS puts you at £389.70 w/o VAT

Options to consider:

if you are gaming at 1920x1080 you might want to consider upgrading to a 6870:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6870-double-d...

looks good other than thar.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2012 1:03:15 PM

you can re use the laptop disk
processors come with a stock heatsink, if you are not overclocking just stick with the heatsink they have provided
OEM windows os is $100
March 7, 2012 4:09:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think with the power supply either will be good. I'll probably stick with the corsair.

With regard to the HD6870 i am considering it however i'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Maybe when the 7800 series come out on the 19th the price of the 6870 will drop, if i'm lucky.

This might be a stupid question, but my old laptop ran on Vista is there any chance i can revive that on my new system for free?

I just feel a bit duped buying windows 7 when windows 8 will be coming out pretty soon.

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2012 4:27:24 PM

alvine said:
you can re use the laptop disk
processors come with a stock heatsink, if you are not overclocking just stick with the heatsink they have provided
OEM windows os is $100

You can reuse the laptop discs but knowing Toshiba laptops (I have one) they will be incredibly slow and be a huge lag on your system.

Quote:
With regard to the HD6870 i am considering it however i'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Maybe when the 7800 series come out on the 19th the price of the 6870 will drop, if i'm lucky.

Go with a 6850 - it's the best price / performance GPU currently available.

Quote:
This might be a stupid question, but my old laptop ran on Vista is there any chance i can revive that on my new system for free?

As long as you have the disc and the serial number I can't see why not but keep in mind that you're really only allowed 1 x license per system.
March 7, 2012 8:33:04 PM

Yeah 6850 is best VFM.
I have two old Hard Drives from a 2006 PC and a 2008 PC i have yet to check their model info but would they be better than a laptop drive? taking into consideration that the laptop HDD is from about 2 years ago.

help is much appreciated
March 8, 2012 1:48:09 AM

13lackOut said:
Yeah 6850 is best VFM.
I have two old Hard Drives from a 2006 PC and a 2008 PC i have yet to check their model info but would they be better than a laptop drive? taking into consideration that the laptop HDD is from about 2 years ago.

help is much appreciated

As long as the drives are SATA-II you should be good.
March 8, 2012 12:02:03 PM

Wish i had a spare HDD for my next build. Prices for them are insane currently!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2012 2:19:24 PM

13lackOut said:

If it is a retail version, you will just need to re-activate windows and all should work well. If it is an OEM version, usually microsoft will allow one transfer of equipment as long as you call their customer service. It's about a 50/50 shot though with OEM versions. With retail, you are allowed 5 transfers/installs I believe.
March 8, 2012 5:52:28 PM

Thanks guys, the version is OEM but i can't seem to find the disc. Bit of a bummer.
i'll prob just have to buy windows 7, sadly.
March 9, 2012 8:01:14 PM

Goldengoose said:
Wish i had a spare HDD for my next build. Prices for them are insane currently!

I hear that - I want to get a 1.5TB as a backup drive but no way am I paying the prices for it right now. :lol: 

Quote:
Thanks guys, the version is OEM but i can't seem to find the disc. Bit of a bummer.
i'll prob just have to buy windows 7, sadly.

I'd say if your laptop works you should be able to make a restoration disc for it but I'm not sure if it's BIOS specific (Toshiba is notorious for pulling that BS on their software).
!