XP Service Pack 2 Firewall Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I was wondering if the new firewall included in SP2 has the
functionality like Zonealarm which will warn you when a program is
trying to make an outgoing connection, and let you allow or block it?

This is an essential function I need, and I want to determine whether
I still need to keep zonealarm.

If the XP SP2 does not do it, can anyone recommend a free, good
product that does this? I have had issues with ZoneAlarm recently that
have made me want to find an alternative.

TIA
9 answers Last reply
More about service pack firewall question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    NO, XP's firewall is for incoming intrusions only. It will not detect nor
    warn you of any outgoing traffic. You are best off with ZoneAlarm.

    JAX

    "Atreju" <me@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if the new firewall included in SP2 has the
    > functionality like Zonealarm which will warn you when a program is
    > trying to make an outgoing connection, and let you allow or block it?
    >
    > This is an essential function I need, and I want to determine whether
    > I still need to keep zonealarm.
    >
    > If the XP SP2 does not do it, can anyone recommend a free, good
    > product that does this? I have had issues with ZoneAlarm recently that
    > have made me want to find an alternative.
    >
    > TIA
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    Toolman, you need to read a little more before you start giving advice!!
    XP's firewall in for incoming traffic only.

    JAX

    "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > >|I was wondering if the new firewall included in SP2 has the
    >>| functionality like Zonealarm which will warn you when a program is
    >>| trying to make an outgoing connection, and let you allow or block it?
    >>|
    >>| This is an essential function I need, and I want to determine whether
    >>| I still need to keep zonealarm.
    >>|
    >>| If the XP SP2 does not do it, can anyone recommend a free, good
    >>| product that does this? I have had issues with ZoneAlarm recently
    >>| that have made me want to find an alternative.
    >>|
    >>| TIA
    >
    > Yep. But I've just started using it myself, so I can't vouch for the
    > effectiveness of it. Plus you can go into the settings for the firewall in
    > Control Panel and deal with any exceptions manually. I've found it to be
    > less "configurable" but I don't need too much of that behind my router
    > (with
    > it's NAT).
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    JAX should YOU not do some reading YOURSELF as the firewall in SP2 XP covers
    outgoing AS WELL as incoming. OK.

    NIK

    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > NO, XP's firewall is for incoming intrusions only. It will not detect nor
    > warn you of any outgoing traffic. You are best off with ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > JAX
    >
    > "Atreju" <me@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    >>I was wondering if the new firewall included in SP2 has the
    >> functionality like Zonealarm which will warn you when a program is
    >> trying to make an outgoing connection, and let you allow or block it?
    >>
    >> This is an essential function I need, and I want to determine whether
    >> I still need to keep zonealarm.
    >>
    >> If the XP SP2 does not do it, can anyone recommend a free, good
    >> product that does this? I have had issues with ZoneAlarm recently that
    >> have made me want to find an alternative.
    >>
    >> TIA

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:01:02 -0700, "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote:

    >Toolman, you need to read a little more before you start giving advice!!
    >XP's firewall in for incoming traffic only.
    >
    >JAX

    Indeed, after some more digging, I realised this myself as well.
    Thanks.

    ---Atreju---
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    niknik1971 wrote:

    > JAX should YOU not do some reading YOURSELF as the firewall in
    > SP2 XP covers outgoing AS WELL as incoming. OK.
    Hi

    No, it does *not* cover outgoing connections.

    If you get a security alert from the FW, asking if you want to keep
    blocking a program, it is not because that program tries to create an
    outbound connection, but because that program are trying to set up an
    *listening* port that accepts unsolicited inbound traffic

    Let's take AOL IM as an example, when you start it, the FW will ask
    if you want to keep blocking AOL IM.

    What happens is that AOL IM is trying to set up a listening port, that
    part of the TC/PIP communication it is that the FW is asking about.
    Any other communication from AOL IM (on e.g. other ports) will not be
    stopped if you choose block (but some functionality in AOL IM will be
    disabled by doing it, e.g. maybe that your AOL buddies cannot connect
    to you on some level).

    See "Firewall asks to unblock a program"
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#The_Service_Pack_2_firewall

    and

    Understanding Windows Firewall/Introduction (3 pages)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    and

    How to use the Security Alert dialog box in Windows XP Service Pack 2

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    Kadaitcha Man wrote:
    > niknik1971, <niknik1971@btopenworld.com>, the inefficient, fragile
    > skunk, and gatherer of heather for cheap fuel, disgorged:
    >
    >> JAX should YOU not do some reading YOURSELF as the firewall in SP2 XP
    >> covers outgoing AS WELL as incoming. OK.
    >
    > BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

    That should get him his "MVP" rating.

    --
    Honey, you stick to the washin',
    ironin', cookin', and scrubbin'.

    Atreju wrote:

    > I was wondering if the new firewall included in SP2 has the
    > functionality like Zonealarm which will warn you when a program is
    > trying to make an outgoing connection, and let you allow or block it?
    >
    > This is an essential function I need, and I want to determine whether
    > I still need to keep zonealarm.
    >
    > If the XP SP2 does not do it, can anyone recommend a free, good
    > product that does this? I have had issues with ZoneAlarm recently that
    > have made me want to find an alternative.
    >
    > TIA

    If you are really interested in changing from Zone Alarm, Sygate
    Personal Firewall which is free, has always worked great for me. You
    could read some reviews, and check it out online:

    http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

    Please NOTE: The FREE version is at the bottom of the page. :)

    bj
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    Thanks Torgeir.

    JAX

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > niknik1971 wrote:
    >
    >> JAX should YOU not do some reading YOURSELF as the firewall in SP2 XP
    >> covers outgoing AS WELL as incoming. OK.
    > Hi
    >
    > No, it does *not* cover outgoing connections.
    >
    > If you get a security alert from the FW, asking if you want to keep
    > blocking a program, it is not because that program tries to create an
    > outbound connection, but because that program are trying to set up an
    > *listening* port that accepts unsolicited inbound traffic
    >
    > Let's take AOL IM as an example, when you start it, the FW will ask
    > if you want to keep blocking AOL IM.
    >
    > What happens is that AOL IM is trying to set up a listening port, that
    > part of the TC/PIP communication it is that the FW is asking about.
    > Any other communication from AOL IM (on e.g. other ports) will not be
    > stopped if you choose block (but some functionality in AOL IM will be
    > disabled by doing it, e.g. maybe that your AOL buddies cannot connect
    > to you on some level).
    >

    > See "Firewall asks to unblock a program"
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#The_Service_Pack_2_firewall
    >
    > and
    >
    > Understanding Windows Firewall/Introduction (3 pages)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
    >
    > and
    >
    > How to use the Security Alert dialog box in Windows XP Service Pack 2

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:23:44 -0400, chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >If you are really interested in changing from Zone Alarm, Sygate
    >Personal Firewall which is free, has always worked great for me. You
    >could read some reviews, and check it out online:
    >
    >http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
    >
    >Please NOTE: The FREE version is at the bottom of the page. :)

    Interesting, I just installed it and tried it, and it immediately
    screwed my system.
    I could not even get past the login I would get a BSOD and a reboot
    automatically.

    So much for that program.

    ---Atreju---

Configuration Firewalls Customization Windows XP