January 3, 2012 4:47:11 PM

Hey Everyone.

Here is my current system:

AMD Phenom II X4 BE OC'd to 3.6GHz
Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3 Motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS nVidia Geforce 550 ti
Gelid GX-7 CPU Cooler

Well I got Skyrim for Christmas, and understood that I may have to upgrade from my 9600 GT to be able to play it effectively. So I decided to purchase an Asus 550 ti graphics card to boost the performance.

Don't get me wrong, the card is amazing, but after around an hour or so of Skyrim on high graphics settings, the game seems to run a bit slower. I can only imagine this is due to heat.

I believe that the issue may be the fact that the heatsink/fan combination on the card is blowing air down to the bottom of the case, and therefore heat isn't escaping out of the case particularly well.

However, I thought I would see what everyone here thought about the matter, and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks for your help

Andy

More about : lag skyrim

a c 227 U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 5:28:13 PM

How are you monitoring your system temps (CPU, GPU, memory, HDDS, etc)? Also, how is your airflow and case cleanliness?
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 5:30:36 PM

If you think heat is the issue, use a program like MSI after burner or GPU-z to keep tabs on your GPU heat and CoreTemp to track your CPU.

This will give you the information regarding your cards / cpus temperature and let you know if you need to change something

I also suggest you read these articles:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...

Performance suggestions; turn down shadows and radial blur, also in the advanced options set all your fade distances to about 75% instead of 100.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 3, 2012 6:15:22 PM

Well i've just ran Skyrim for an hour or so, and come off of the game and my graphics card is currently registering around 50 degrees, which I guess isn't great.

The airflow in my machine is currently fine. I believe the problem is that the graphics card is blowing air to the bottom of the case, and I do not have a space for a fan there.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this problem?

Thanks

Andy
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 6:22:08 PM

50 degrees is perfectly fine, my 6850 goes until 75 degrees,
the problem has to be something else. Try patching the game, skyrim is great, but can be a little buggy.
January 3, 2012 6:27:17 PM

Hmm i'll give that a try. However I don't think it could be that because the game runs fine for an hour or so, and then begins to lag :/ 
a c 227 U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 7:05:56 PM

This could also be an issue of memory management. What other apps do you have running when running Skyrim (AV, etc)?

Last, if Windows fully up to date with all patches/SPs installed?
!