Replace Radeon 4650 with .....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketboy96

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hello,
I am currently running a Radeon 4650 on a PCI x16 slot. I am/have been to date very happy with the card. I recently played SWTOR on a friend's machine and decided I needed to upgrade my card. What do you all suggest and at what price should I expect for a good upgrade card that will fit in the slot. I am willing to buy a new PSU but not a new machine/mobo/ect.

I will be making the purchase in the next two weeks. I am seeking a card that will run SWTOR at a very smooth rate more often than not. I accept I am going to have to upgrade the 350watt PSU that came with my machine. I have an AMD Phenom 9650. I am indifferent where I buy it but would prefer someplace I have heard of before. I will not be overclocking or running SLI. I would like to run resolution at somewhere well north of 800x600. Again I am just looking for a slick game of SWTOR all else is really kinda secondary.

Solution

Yes the 6790, like all modern Graphics Cards; are PCI-E 2.1 compliant, which means they will work in 2.1, 2.0 and 1.0

I selected the ATI 6790 because it was the same price as the Nvidia 550 ti (at the time), and it is a little more powerful. If you get a 500 watt power supply with a 6pin connector then you can get any GPU you like.

Just make sure that when selecting a GPU you find out whether it needs a 8 pin, 6 pin or in come cases two 6 pin power cables because that will dictate what kind of Power Supply you purchase.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I have a ATI 6790 which works fantastic on every game I play, Dawn of war 2, Skyrim, half life, MW3, company of heroes, arkham city etc.

How much do you want to spend on a new GPU? And for most modern GPUs if you're looking for a mid range card; you will likely have to replace your power supply with one that has a 6 pin connector.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Yes the 6790, like all modern Graphics Cards; are PCI-E 2.1 compliant, which means they will work in 2.1, 2.0 and 1.0

I selected the ATI 6790 because it was the same price as the Nvidia 550 ti (at the time), and it is a little more powerful. If you get a 500 watt power supply with a 6pin connector then you can get any GPU you like.

Just make sure that when selecting a GPU you find out whether it needs a 8 pin, 6 pin or in come cases two 6 pin power cables because that will dictate what kind of Power Supply you purchase.

Solution

Rocketboy96

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Actually that is the next step....need to get a power supply that can power the card and has a 2 by 2 set of holes for an additional ATX power coupling on my mobo.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
most PSUs come with an extra 4 pin or two. Mine came with two extra and it was just a no name 600 watt PSU.

IMO buying a modular PSU (you choose which cables are attached to the psu) is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.