Build computer for 11 yearod son

My 11 year old son wants to have a father son project. and it is to build a computer. the components i picked out are

AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

EVGA 01G-P3-1303-KR GeForce 8400 GS 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless Adapter IEEE

ASUS DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3LT/BLK/G/AS

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

total coast 568.00. I was woundering if there are any compatibility issues with the components I selected. or If there is a way I could save some money. pleas let me know. thanks for all your help
12 answers Last reply
More about build computer yearod
  1. What is this system to be used for?
  2. surfing the net, watching movies, and videos Hopefully homework. not much gaming.
  3. Do you have a Hard Drive?
  4. Don't think you'll need such a powerful PSU in my opinion, with that spec a 400w is more than sufficient. You could spend a few bucks on a slightly more powerful graphics card, not sure if 8400gs was able to play 1080p.
  5. may1 said:
    Don't think you'll need such a powerful PSU in my opinion, with that spec a 400w is more than sufficient. You could spend a few bucks on a slightly more powerful graphics card, not sure if 8400gs was able to play 1080p.


    It's an extremely basic discrete card. Like 6450.
  6. jde30ster said:
    My 11 year old son wants to have a father son project. and it is to build a computer. the components i picked out are

    AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

    EVGA 01G-P3-1303-KR GeForce 8400 GS 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

    Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless Adapter IEEE

    ASUS DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3LT/BLK/G/AS

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

    RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

    total coast 568.00. I was woundering if there are any compatibility issues with the components I selected. or If there is a way I could save some money. pleas let me know. thanks for all your help


    I would go for a Llano build for your purposes.
    I would make a build for you but newegg is having problems atm.
  7. yes the hdd is Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive.
  8. samuelspark said:
    I would go for a Llano build for your purposes.


    i agree
  9. thanks for all your help. my son and i really appreciated it.
  10. AMD A6-3670K Unlocked Quad Core Llano APU ($109.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106002
    MSI A75A-G35 FM1 Motherboard with UEFI Bios ($94.99)($15 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130615
    NZXT Hush Quiet Gaming Computer Case ($49.99) ($10 MIR) (retails for $90!!!)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146035&Tpk=nzxt%20hush
    G.Skill Value 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM ($37.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424
    LG DVD Burner ($15.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240
    500GB HDD Seagate Barracuda ($84.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767
    ENCORE Wireless Adapter ($9.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180072
    Antec Earthwatts 380w PSU ($44.99) ($3.99 shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
    Windows 7 Home Premium ($99.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

    Total = $548.91

    About the same, but will give more performance and style.
  11. That 3670 w/ a MB combo deal is $149.88
    AMD A6-3670K Unlocked Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3670WNGXBOX (CPU on chip graphics)
    bundled with:
    1x MSI A55M-P35 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX ... $149.88
  12. I think a SSD (even a very low end one) will speed things along more than powerful graphics or 8GB of RAM would to be honest. I would try to fit one in there.

    AMD A6-3500
    2x2GB Mushkin Essentials 1333Mhz
    ASRock A55M-HVS
    Crucial M4 64GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB
    Fractal Design Core 1000
    SeaSonic SS-300ES Bronze 300W
    LG DVD Burner
    Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

    Total - $563.90

    I don't think you will even notice the difference between 4GB and 8GB of RAM for this usage so I wouldn't worry about that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Build Systems Product