Processor upgrade

Currently using a Phenom X4 9650 @2.3 GHz, i can get a AM3 motherboard and ram that can run up to the 1100t, but wat im looking at is the

Phenom II x6 1045T @2.7 GHz - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&CatId=4432
Phenom II x4 965 @3.4 GHz - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5692033&CatId=4431

from tigerdirect the price difference is $10 but after a rebate for the 6 core, i know 6 core is always better than 4 but just asking for what would be better to make sure i get wat'd preform better.

This is an upgrade for my 2nd PC and is using a 9800 GT with HDMI, for slight gaming.

Solution
Strictly speaking, the x4 is better. the x4 is overclockable, and by default runs at a higher clock speed. The 1045T can only be overclocked at the reference clock, as the multiplier is locked. And since the 1045T is a lower default multiplier, its final overclock will be limited moreso than the 965.

Some of the higher number x6s are Black Editions (which denotes the unlocked multiplier), this would be the 1100T/1090T and a couple others. They would absolutely be better CPUs to have, but almost impossible to find in new condition these days.

AS far as no game uses all the cores, thats not entirely true. There is one game currently that is an exception to the rule, this is Battlefield 3 in multiplayer. (not single player)

Bottom...
Strictly speaking, the x4 is better. the x4 is overclockable, and by default runs at a higher clock speed. The 1045T can only be overclocked at the reference clock, as the multiplier is locked. And since the 1045T is a lower default multiplier, its final overclock will be limited moreso than the 965.

Some of the higher number x6s are Black Editions (which denotes the unlocked multiplier), this would be the 1100T/1090T and a couple others. They would absolutely be better CPUs to have, but almost impossible to find in new condition these days.

AS far as no game uses all the cores, thats not entirely true. There is one game currently that is an exception to the rule, this is Battlefield 3 in multiplayer. (not single player)

Bottom line, I would take the x4 965 and overclock it, even for the multitasking, rendering/editing stuff I think the overclocking would more than compensate for the extra 2 cores operating at a lower frequency from the 1045T.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS