Sign in with
Your question
Closed

USB Extension and Hub for Mouse and Keyboard

Last response: in Components
June 21, 2012 9:19:30 PM

Really didn't know what section to put this in, so I'm putting it here.

So I have my desktop sitting in my home theater/cinema room. Its at a desk on the far side of the room. I recently purchased a 25 foot HDMI cable that runs from my video card, under the carpet, and into my Pioneer receiver, so I can pass HD Audio and Video from my desktop to my TV and Speaker system. Recently, I have been contemplating what I am going to do about the keyboard and mouse situation.

At first I considered a wireless keyboard and mouse. I borrowed my brothers today to try it out. Horrible, absolutely horrible. The signal was lost and cut out constantly. The mouse and keyboard were 8-10 feet away from the receiver. So, I've come to the conclusion that wireless is not an option.

So now my plan is to run a USB extension cable from my pc under the carpet and have it come out under my couch, where I will be sitting. Attached to that I will have a USB HUB to connect my keyboard and mouse.

I am wondering if this will work without any downsides, because I've heard that sometimes if a cable is too long the signal will get weak or lost.

Here are the parts that I just ordered. I can cancel the order if need be, so no worries if this won't work.

USB Extension cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AGX4YO/ref=oh_deta...

USB HUB:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8UAWY/ref=oh_deta...

Not sure if it matters, but my keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse II and my mouse is a Razer Naga. Both light up, so I know they draw some power from the USB connection, not sure how much though.
June 21, 2012 10:20:47 PM

I would not write off wireless completely. I would put the receiver (probably, an USB stick) on short extension cable, just to get it out of he cabinet the PC is in, and try some reputable wireless keyboard / mouse. The first combo from Amazon (MS) lists range as 30 feet, which should be enough (unless your living room is the size of cinema theater :) 
Score
June 21, 2012 10:50:10 PM

The receiver that I tried today was out in the open. It was sitting on top of a desk that was 8-10 feet away, with a clear line of sight to the keyboard and mouse, and it sucked. This was a logitech too, not some cheapo no name brand, so I really am not looking at wireless. On top of that, a good wireless keyboard and mouse would cost significantly more than what I have ordered. Also, I've heard that no matter how good the wireless device is, it will always have some input lag.

I would also like to keep my keyboard and mouse to have my experience be seamless. I don't want to bind certain controls to the naga only to not have them work when using a different mouse.

So I'm leaning heavily towards wired at the moment, seeing as 8-10 feet of clear sight is apparently not enough for a good signal. IMO, that is pathetic.
Score
Related resources
June 22, 2012 12:28:02 AM

Hi :) 

Try Bluetooth....

All the best Brett :) 
Score
June 22, 2012 3:37:42 AM

I've heard from others that Bluetooth is something I should avoid. Sigh...

Okay, can someone please just tell me if what I have ordered will work fine without any delay or input lag. I really do not want to spend a lot on a whole new wireless keyboard and mouse, for the reasons stated in my last post.
Score

Best solution

June 22, 2012 4:11:58 AM

It should work in theory, assuming the total current draw for active cable + hub + keyboard + mouse is less than 500mA.

If you end up over-budget, you are going to have to either use a USB 'hack' to combine power from two USB ports into one on your PC or a self-powered USB hub.

Since keyboards and mice are typically USB1.1 devices, you could probably use a pair of 20' passive extension cables without hub.
June 22, 2012 5:59:52 AM

Thank you. I'll just see if it works when it gets here, and will let you guys know. I'm sure it will, as other reviewers mention that keyboard and mouse can be used with what I got.
Score
September 24, 2012 5:42:19 AM

Best answer selected by trogdor796.
Score
October 12, 2012 11:41:49 PM

I'm aware that last post was over 3 months ago, but it might still help someone. You should try a remote touchpad app for your smartphone, as long as both are in the network and you only need VNC server on the computer you want to control. Try apps like touchpad or Hipporemote Pro (for iPhone, but I'm sure there are plenty of them for any OS).

Neat and budget friendly.

P.S. Or even a remote desktop with a laptop or something.
Score
October 13, 2012 8:41:29 AM

This topic has been closed by MouseMonkey
Score
!