Sign in with
Your question

Intel and integrated graphics

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2012 9:25:50 PM

Why does intel put integrated graphics inside there high end cpus? - 3770k
People buying the high end cpus will most likely be getting a discrete gpu.

So wouldn't it make sense to completely remove the integrated graphics and have a stronger cpu? Why do they put it in?
a c 78 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 9:31:45 PM

Development? I think Intel ultimately doesn't want to have to co-exist with Nvidia or AMD for graphics. Although, Intel's onboard graphics aren't ready to be taken seriously as a viable alternative to a discrete graphics solution. Neither is AMD's Llano and Trinity, although they're definitely ahead of Intel.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 21, 2012 9:38:20 PM

Eh, why not have the iGPU? It can be useful in troubleshooting GPU problems, and not having it on die wouldn't help performance any. I suppose they could use the extra die space for a couple more cores, but the CPU's would become prohibitively expensive then (like with the six core SB-E and Xeon CPU's).
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 9:49:18 PM

honestly, high end would warrant the Xeon and SB-E lines rather than the Sandy/Ivy/ processors, i would consider them mainstream CPUs that are used for personal or recreational use, and a lot of the market today can use the integrated graphics for lots of things aside from gaming.
m
l
a c 134 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 10:18:49 PM

dontqqnub said:
So wouldn't it make sense to completely remove the integrated graphics and have a stronger cpu? Why do they put it in?

Because:
1- the majority of productivity-oriented PCs/laptops require only enough GPU power to run the Windows desktop and vastly outnumber the number of gaming PCs.
2- the majority of laptops used for productivity cannot afford to sacrifice much battery life, space or weight for 3D acceleration.
3- even the lowest-end CPUs currently being produced are suitable for the vast majority of everyday tasks so high-end needs more differentiating features. Keep in mind that desktop CPUs are closely related to laptop ones.
4- IGPs provide a nice baseline amount of GPGPU capacity that can be tapped without affecting the GPU(s) if/when applications and games start using GPGPU.
5- IGP resources are shared with QuickPath video encoding/decoding and I imagine some soundcard manufacturer could start using GPGPU sound DSP.
6- much of the extra die area is required simply to put all the FC-BGA pads, may as well make it do some useful work.
7- smaller dies are more difficult to cool, the unused GPU still contributes to local heat-sinking/spreading.

So, why? Because it opens the way to hybrid computing and good-enough IGP for the embedded/mobile environments where most of the growth potential is and power/space budgets are far more limited than conventional PCs.

Since Intel started pushing for their flavor of Retina-style high-DPI displays, I hope they are going to come up with HD5000 sooner rather than later. They are going to need it.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 117 å Intel
June 22, 2012 1:16:17 AM

Integration reduces overall costs.

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 5:43:14 AM

dontqqnub said:
Why does intel put integrated graphics inside there high end cpus? - 3770k
People buying the high end cpus will most likely be getting a discrete gpu.

Intel is a very large production capacity based company with over 100,000 employees and a 54 billion dollar 2011 revenue and much more in assets.

They have people sitting in $10,000 dollar suits getting paid $100+ per hour with PHD's that are a lot smarter than any of us analyzing the market and sales all day to determine the best business options through thousands of protocols to maximize profit. Business works for profit, if providing a integrated solution did not maximize profit, it would not be done. Trust me...Intel knows what they are doing.

Only the government does things that don't make sense or waste money...businesses don't or they go bankrupt.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
June 22, 2012 5:49:18 AM

Quote:
Only the government does things that don't make sense or waste money...businesses don't or they go bankrupt.

:o  *pauses* :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
!