FPS lag after awhile in-game

Hello all!

So I put this under 'CPU' cause I'm not really sure where the problem lies...

So I bought a new pre-built PC (the company built it) about 3 weeks ago, and I've recently noticed a sudden Frame drop in-game after I've played for about 15-30 min.

I've looked all around the web for an answer to this, and people said it could be a heat related issue. But since I've downloaded various programs to check the temp on both GPU and CPU, it all seemed fine...
Until I noticed that when I looked at my CPU core temp in HWmonitor it seemed fine at first, sitting around 15-25°C idle and about 40-65°C in-game. But when this sudden lag occurs the temp rises to 255°C! Now I know this isn't the case since my CPU would've melted by now if that was true. And that temp is frozen at 255 until I reboot the system. And that fixes the lag too. But that's just a temporary solution, and I want this issue solved permanently!

The GPU temp is sitting at around 35°C idle and 45-65°C in-game. I've also downloaded MSI Afterburner to adjust the GPU temp abit, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Here's my specs:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Processor: AMD FX 4100
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23
Memory: Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB
Graphics card:XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 "Dual Fan"
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda® 500GB
Power Supply: Silver Power SP-SS500 500W

Tell me if I've missed some valuable info, I'm not that "techy" :P
4 answers Last reply
More about awhile game
  1. maybe try updating the BIOS on your mobo... seems like the heat sensor is reporting erroneous information causing the cpu to down clock... though I would think it would just turn itself off if it thought it was that hot...
  2. who did you buy the pc from? You should be under a 1 year warranty. I would contact their customer support and report the problem and go through their repair/replace service.
  3. I live in Sweden and I bought it from a company called Komplett. Pretty comparable with Newegg I would say. But yeah I have sent them an email to their customer support. But since there's an extended weekend now in Sweden, they will most likely not respond to any email/phonecall until monday.
  4. I would go easy with your pc and gaming until they can fix or replace the problem part (s) but don't open it up or you will void the warranty
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Games