Which of these builds should I go for? 4100/2500k/2600k

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Have been researching a new build for a few months now which I will use to paint in Photoshop and ink comics using Manga Studio or Sai, possible 2D animation in the future, I will never use these builds for gaming. I have come up with 3 possible system builds, for value and performance - which is the best one to go for to suit my work needs and value for money?

All builds will go in the same case whichever I decide to build, I already have HDDs and will use an old GeForce 6600 GT for VGA output.

Usage: Photoshop, Manga Studio, Sai, 600dpi 5000px+
Time of build: Early April.

Case: Aerocool X-Predator XL-ATX
■Front fan: 1x 230mm intake
■Bottom fan: 1x 140mm intake
■Side fan: 1x 200mm intake
■Top fan: 1x 230mm exhaust
■Rear fan: 1x 140mm exhaust

Build #1 £501.00
■CPU: i7 2600k
■HSF: Coolermaster 212 Evo
■MOBO: ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
■RAM: 16GB G-Skill RipJaws X
■PSU: Corsair TX650W V2

Build #2 £441.12
■CPU: i5 2500k
■MOBO: ASRock Extreme3 Gen3

Build #3 £396.06
■CPU: FX-4100
■MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Solution
Build #2 is the best

The Intel HD 3000 GFX on the first two CPUs is more powerful than the GeForce 6600. The GPU of the intel chips is on the same die as the CPU. If you are cooling the CPU you are cooling the Gfx... A discrete card would add more heat to the case.

Make sure you get a Z68 chipset.

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Really? I think I read about using a discrete video card to lower mobo temps, would I be better off just using the mobo output then?

I looked at a lot of reviews for PSU's and any that are below 650w are pretty varied, I think I will look again though!

The aim for this new system is to easily handle very big files, in Manga Studio for example my typical size is 6071 x 8598 pixels but I will go bigger for double spreads @ 12142 x 8598 pixels, and handle more than 100 layers. Same for Photoshop for painting, but enable me to use large brushes with texture and dual brush turned on with as little lag as possible, also the smudge tool is something I use a lot as well which right now lags the hell out of me on a 2x core 2.4GHz.

I'm pretty skint tbh, but the 2600k IS within my budget, but I could possibly get an SSD which I don't have yet if I choose a cheaper alternative, this decision is difficult because I have no idea if one CPU will handle the tasks I mentioned faster than the other.

Thanks!

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Build #2 is the best

The Intel HD 3000 GFX on the first two CPUs is more powerful than the GeForce 6600. The GPU of the intel chips is on the same die as the CPU. If you are cooling the CPU you are cooling the Gfx... A discrete card would add more heat to the case.

Make sure you get a Z68 chipset.

Solution

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
A cheap psu is a bad psu beware...
TX650 has 52amps on its 12volt rail that should give you a nice indication.

Agreed... There is nothing like getting devastated by a cheap PSU when it goes out and takes your graphics cards and motherboard with it to drive that point home...

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
A cheap psu is a bad psu beware...
TX650 has 52amps on its 12volt rail that should give you a nice indication.

I don't understand much about PSU's, is that a good thing or a bad thing you mention? is the TX650 V2 suck? could you recommend a good PSU?

I was just looking at Newegg (I live in UK but has lots of reviews)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W +12V@34A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 +12V@52A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W +12V@48A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139023

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 +12V@54A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035

All these have pretty solid 5 eggs, tbh I can't tell the difference betweem them or the TX650. No real reason why they're all Corsair, was just choosing the best reviewed!

Well Honestly that PSU isnt "Cheap" for what your gonna do. I mean if your not gonna be running 4 K monitors on a Quad Crossfire or SLI Setup and everything, and just maybe run 1 high end video card later down the road. a Corsair TX 650 v2 will be fine. IDK if these guys were saying its a crappy PSU but its not. I used the TX 750 watt for SLI setup and running strong still

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W is a great option if you can find it at a good price.
(Seasonic also made the TX650 V2 for Corsair)

Can you find a Manga Studio community forum and ask advice about going with 2500K vs 2600K?
I can't find anything that mentions if Manga Studio likes 4 cores/8 threads (2600K) better than 4 cores/4threads (2500K).

You can also ask there if Manga Studio can benefit from a discrete graphics card. I don't believe it does, but you could confirm that.
pacioli was right. The HD 3000 Graphics of the 2600K/2500K is just about equal in GPU performance with the 6600GT.

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I found it for £61.82 for the SeaSonic S12II 520 against £66.66 for the Corsair TX650V2, I am torn now - I often read SeaSonic is a rock solid PSU maker, but the amount of good reviews for the TX650 is making it a hard decision! the TX650 also has 2 years longer warranty.

Ditto here about Manga Studio, I think it lacks a good community cause I haven't found one for the time I've been using it, I'll go spam some forums and see what I can find out. I'll email the company who makes it as well.

So there's no point me using a discrete graphics card? that's a good thing then, since that card runs at 45c, I remember the days many years back having 2 in sli playing BF2 in hot summers made my PC roar like a dragon. :lol:

The only reason to get a graphics card would be to aid in speeding up renderings.
We're starting to see a lot of the new graphics software being able to use the GPUs as co-processors along with the CPU to speed up intensive renderings.
I don't think that's the case with Manga Studio - but keep an eye out for future developments. In any case - it's something you can add later.

The price differential between PSUs is a lot smaller than I would have expected.
Your system is probably going to top out at under 300watts on full load.
-> But both PSUs have 5 year warranties. And which ever one you pick you'll have a Seasonic built PSU. Both are made by Seasonic.

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I got it for £109 from ebuyer but they seem to not have it now, overclockers.co.uk has 1 left in the black colour for the same price, otherwise I think quietpc and amazon have it for around £124 in all colours.

I didn't expect it to be so big though, it's freakin huge, I have an old Alienware full tower case and it makes it look like a midi side by side, it has 10 PCI expansion slots which are going to waste LOL. :lol:

Yeah I could definitely add a GPU later on.
I think I will get that SeaSonic PSU for having smaller wattage, I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere that if your PSU has overkill watts compared to what your system is using and if the PSU pops it's more likely to take the mobo with it.

I knew it would be more expensive than for what you needed (and extra large for your normal sized parts).
But since you already have it - no reason not to use it.
Saving a fiver on the PSU will help you get a good surge protector to lessen the chances of anything going POP.

Naota

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

It's true, at least it should keep everything cool.

I got a reply from SmithMicro, the people who distribute Manga Studio and they wrote:

"Thank you for contacting Support Manga Studio does not benefit from multi cores. The application is a Drawing Application that exports to image files, the drawings as they are generated in the program."

It's a shame, I think I will just save the £60 and go for the 2500k, it's what everyone seems to recommend any way. :na:

Cheers!

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The HD3000 on the 2500K chip is more powerful than the Geforce 6600.
Having said that, there are many low power, (read low heat) discrete GPUs that rank higher than the HD3000 as far as graphics capability.
The inexpensive Radeon 6670 is a great deal and has minimal power requirements.
It is likely you will have a better experience with that card than with the Intel HD3000.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html