PC black screens and reboots during gaming.

My PC Specs:

Antec 900
Sapphire Radeon 6970 2GB
AMD FX 8120@8150 Bulldozer 3.8ghz
ASUS M5A97 PRO EVO
16 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHZ RAM
OCZ ModXtreme PRO 700W PSU
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
2 120mm intake fans, 2 120 exhaust fans on H80 in a push-pull configuration, and a 240mm exhaust on the top of the case.

Hi all,
Around about 5 minutes into a Battlefield 3 session my PC will black screen and re-boot, and in some games much later on into sessions. I have re-sat everything in my pc, cleaned it, and re-applied thermal paste to my CPU.

(recently replaced the CPU, RAM, and most recently my GPU, but this happened once on my 6870 when playing SC2!)

Temperatures are as follows:
CPU Idle: 30 Degrees
Under Load: 43 Degrees

GPU Idle: 43 Degrees @ Fan speed 24 %
Under Load: 60 Degrees

MOBO: 25 Degrees

I ran a Prime95 test for my RAM and CPU for two hours with no errors, I also ran a 30 minute furmark3D test on my GPU for half an hour with no errors and the GPU hitting a top temp of 78 Degrees, and I have done memchecks which were all ok.

Is my PSU insufficient?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers,

Howard
6 answers Last reply
More about black screens reboots gaming
  1. If it is crashing I would check the ram. Do this by checking each card in the PC individually. If that doesn't work try underclocking your CPU. Then put underclock your graphics card. Test all of these individually, you can only test one variable in an experiment accurately. If the ram thing works get your ram replaced. If it is the cpu or gpu there is a stability problem, try upping the voltage a little bit. it will increase stability.
  2. Thanks for your reply! I popped the CPU back down to stock (3.4ghz) to no effect, so i'll test the RAM next and let you know how I get on.
  3. RolyPoly said:
    My PC Specs:

Antec 900
    Sapphire Radeon 6970 2GB
    AMD FX 8120@8150 Bulldozer 3.8ghz
    ASUS M5A97 PRO EVO
    16 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHZ RAM
    OCZ ModXtreme PRO 700W PSU
    Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
    2 120mm intake fans, 2 120 exhaust fans on H80 in a push-pull configuration, and a 240mm exhaust on the top of the case.

Hi all,
    Around about 5 minutes into a Battlefield 3 session my PC will black screen and re-boot, and in some games much later on into sessions. I have re-sat everything in my pc, cleaned it, and re-applied thermal paste to my CPU.

(recently replaced the CPU, RAM, and most recently my GPU, but this happened once on my 6870 when playing SC2!)

Temperatures are as follows:
    CPU Idle: 30 Degrees
    Under Load: 43 Degrees

GPU Idle: 43 Degrees @ Fan speed 24 %
    Under Load: 60 Degrees

MOBO: 25 Degrees

I ran a Prime95 test for my RAM and CPU for two hours with no errors, I also ran a 30 minute furmark3D test on my GPU for half an hour with no errors and the GPU hitting a top temp of 78 Degrees, and I have done memchecks which were all ok.

Is my PSU insufficient?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi RolyPoly,

This sounds like a software issue. Are you running Windows 7? Your PSU seems fine as Furmark3D stresses the GPU to its limit resulting in Max. power draw from the GPU. Your RAM also seems to work fine as you have checked them with Prime95 and MemTest.
    Try to update your Graphics and Sound Card Drivers and if they are already up-to-date, then reinstall them. This may solve your problem.

Regards,
    SmartGeek
  4. Actually, I had a similar issue when playing Crysis 2 (Or, in actuality, CryEngine 3). My problem was that I had my VCore in the bios set to auto.

Try setting the voltage to around 1.3 (Stock is 1.2 @ 3.1GHz for the 8120) and see if that helps. If it doesn't work, try going up in as small steps as possible up to around 1.5.
  5. SmartGeek said:
    Hi RolyPoly,

This sounds like a software issue. Are you running Windows 7? Your PSU seems fine as Furmark3D stresses the GPU to its limit resulting in Max. power draw from the GPU. Your RAM also seems to work fine as you have checked them with Prime95 and MemTest.
    Try to update your Graphics and Sound Card Drivers and if they are already up-to-date, then reinstall them. This may solve your problem.

Regards,
    SmartGeek

Hi SmartGeek,

Yeah, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit atm.
    I have re-installed my Graphics drivers, but I'll give re-installing my Sound drivers a go as well!

RP
  6. MajinCry said:
    Actually, I had a similar issue when playing Crysis 2 (Or, in actuality, CryEngine 3). My problem was that I had my VCore in the bios set to auto.

Try setting the voltage to around 1.3 (Stock is 1.2 @ 3.1GHz for the 8120) and see if that helps. If it doesn't work, try going up in as small steps as possible up to around 1.5.

Hi MajinCry,

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll have a look in the Bios and see what it's currently set to and go from there. Going to try and eliminate the possibly of software issues first though!

Cheers,

RP
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies CPUs Components