DDR RAM doesn't fit

G

I bought an I-Will KK266 which supports DDR RAM. Then I bought some PC2100 to put in it, but it doesn't fit. The RAM I got doesn't have two notches like all the DIMMs I have used before it only has one. Did I get sent the wrong product? Does my motherboard not really support DDR? Is there more than one type of DDR RAM?

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Iwill kk266 is based on the kt133a chipset and does not support ddr ram it only suport up to pc133 sdr sdram.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

G

Thats really helpful. What a life you must lead that you have nothing better to do than posts like that.

G

No, what I was confused by was that it said it supported DDR. I thought that DDR was a term applied only to RAM, but IWill says that their bus is DDR. Is that a standard way to refer to 200/266 MHz bus speeds?

G

Yes it is, if they say 200/266mhz bus speed they are referring to the FSB, not the memory. You're not dumb, it's can be confusing due to poor marketing.

If you are looking for a MoBo that supports DDR Memory, then look for something that says it supports PC1600 or PC2100 memory. It should have an AMD760, ALi MAGiK1 or VIA KT266 chipset.

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
More industry confusion.

DDR=Double Data Rate. This term can be used in conjunction with the FSB, Front Side Bus, and with DRAM. It means data is transfered <b>twice</b> per clock cycle. All Thunderbirds and Durons use DDR FSB and it is either 200 mhz or 266 mhz (at this time). So, both the KA-266 and the KK-266 support a DDR FSB. The speed of the FSB is sometimes stated as 133 Mhz or sometimes 266 mhz DDR. Both terms refer to the same thing which can be very confusing.

Unfortunately, for the novice, DDR is a term that is also used with SDRAM. There is DDR SDRAM and SDR, single data rate, SDRAM. DDR SDRAM is sometimes called DDR memory. SDR SDRAM is almost always labeled simply SDRAM as this form of SDRAM pre-dated DDR SDRAM.

As I mentioned in my other post, the IWILL KA-266 supports DDR. I meant that it supports DDR SDRAM. Since the subject of your message is "DDR RAM doesn't fit", I didn't think this would be confusing. The IWILL KK-266 supports only SDRAM (SDR SDRAM) which is why your DDR SDRAM does <b>not fit</b>.

Both the KA-266 and the KK-266 support a DDR Front Side Bus as you can see this does not imply that they both support DDR SDRAM. The KA-266 supports DDR SDRAM while the KK-266 only supports SDRAM (SDR SDRAM).

I hope that I have made this a little clearer for you.

Update:
Sorry, I initially said "DDR SDRAM fits". I meant "DDR SDRAM does not fit".

I have corrected my post.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/11/01 03:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>