GSM OTA Provisioning Challenge

Last response: in Technologies
Share
August 6, 2005 10:10:12 PM

GSM OTA Provisioning Challenge

I need help with a solution for a GSM related problem.

Background:

We are trying to provide an origination service in a very tightly controlled
market in a West African country with artificially high origination costs.

We intend to deploy an Orion GSM to VoIP channel bank IVR system. This
should allow our customers to be able to call overseas at near local rates
and avoid the artificially high tariffs that are being offered

Problem / Challenge:

We need to be able to send via an SMS message (a telephone number) to a cell
phone that can be will prompt the recipient to add to accept or to discard
the message (number).

The SMS message will should not show the number (numerically) it should show
it as a name, for instance, as "SUPERCALL".

Once the recipient chooses to accept and add the number to their address
book, the recipient should be able to scroll to and see and select the
"number" to call.

However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.

When the number has been selected to dial, it should not show up as a
number. It should just be able to dial out normally.

The solution should be able to work on most cell phone/s (OS's) currently on
the market.

We look forward to responses.

David Spalding

Reply to caatalyst@comcast.net
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:41:22 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <muGdnRm3GLrYqGjfRVn-pQ@adelphia.com> on Sat, 6 Aug 2005 18:10:12 -0400,
"I" <I@xxx.com> wrote:

>GSM OTA Provisioning Challenge
>
>I need help with a solution for a GSM related problem.
>
>Background:
>
>We are trying to provide an origination service in a very tightly controlled
>market in a West African country with artificially high origination costs.
>
>We intend to deploy an Orion GSM to VoIP channel bank IVR system. This
>should allow our customers to be able to call overseas at near local rates
>and avoid the artificially high tariffs that are being offered
>
>Problem / Challenge:
>
>We need to be able to send via an SMS message (a telephone number) to a cell
>phone that can be will prompt the recipient to add to accept or to discard
>the message (number).
>
>The SMS message will should not show the number (numerically) it should show
>it as a name, for instance, as "SUPERCALL".
>
>Once the recipient chooses to accept and add the number to their address
>book, the recipient should be able to scroll to and see and select the
>"number" to call.
>
>However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
>numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.
>
>When the number has been selected to dial, it should not show up as a
>number. It should just be able to dial out normally.
>
>The solution should be able to work on most cell phone/s (OS's) currently on
>the market.
>
>We look forward to responses.

What makes you think this is possible?

August 9, 2005 12:34:41 AM

"I" <I@xxx.com> wrote in message news:muGdnRm3GLrYqGjfRVn-pQ@adelphia.com...
> However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
> numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.

So you don't want anyone (particularly the national communications monopoly)
to be able to figure out what number is the gateway for your VOIP system? I
don't think it can be done. At least I've never seen anything like it. Even
if you could do it on the phone, you can't hide it from the monopoly. All of
a sudden, half the people in the country are dialing the same number and
their international call revenue is cut in half the same day. Come on, any
fool could figure it out.

Does the cell phone system have GPRS? The best thing I can think of is a
Java aplet using GPRS to trigger the system to call the customer back. But
this assumes at least GPRS and maybe Java enabled phones. Higher end devices
than you envision.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Hello Donald:

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not trying to hide the number indeinately
from the communications monopoly. I know that they will catch on to it.

I am just trying to give them a run for thier money. make them work for it.

We are going to be using a large pool of SIM's in a SIM server. Each SIM
will only take so many calls on certain dates.

However I will look into the GPRS/Java approach. Ther is GPRS service
available where we intend to deploy it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message

> "I" <I@xxx.com> wrote in message
>> However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
>> numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.
>
> So you don't want anyone (particularly the national communications
> monopoly)
> to be able to figure out what number is the gateway for your VOIP system?
> don't think it can be done. At least I've never seen anything like it.
> Even
> if you could do it on the phone, you can't hide it from the monopoly. All
> of
> a sudden, half the people in the country are dialing the same number and
> their international call revenue is cut in half the same day. Come on, any
> fool could figure it out.
>
> Does the cell phone system have GPRS? The best thing I can think of is a
> Java aplet using GPRS to trigger the system to call the customer back.
> But
> this assumes at least GPRS and maybe Java enabled phones. Higher end
> devices
> than you envision.
>
> --
> Donald Newcomb
> DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

August 10, 2005 3:43:44 AM

What makes you think that this is not possible?

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <muGdnRm3GLrYqGjfRVn-pQ@adelphia.com> on Sat, 6 Aug 2005
> 18:10:12 -0400,
> "I" <I@xxx.com> wrote:
>
>>GSM OTA Provisioning Challenge
>>
>>I need help with a solution for a GSM related problem.
>>
>>Background:
>>
>>We are trying to provide an origination service in a very tightly
>>controlled
>>market in a West African country with artificially high origination costs.
>>
>>We intend to deploy an Orion GSM to VoIP channel bank IVR system. This
>>should allow our customers to be able to call overseas at near local rates
>>and avoid the artificially high tariffs that are being offered
>>
>>Problem / Challenge:
>>
>>We need to be able to send via an SMS message (a telephone number) to a
>>cell
>>phone that can be will prompt the recipient to add to accept or to discard
>>the message (number).
>>
>>The SMS message will should not show the number (numerically) it should
>>show
>>it as a name, for instance, as "SUPERCALL".
>>
>>Once the recipient chooses to accept and add the number to their address
>>book, the recipient should be able to scroll to and see and select the
>>"number" to call.
>>
>>However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
>>numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.
>>
>>When the number has been selected to dial, it should not show up as a
>>number. It should just be able to dial out normally.
>>
>>The solution should be able to work on most cell phone/s (OS's) currently
>>on
>>the market.
>>
>>We look forward to responses.
>
> What makes you think this is possible?

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:26:31 PM

"I" <I@xxx.com> wrote in message
> However I will look into the GPRS/Java approach. Ther is GPRS service
> available where we intend to deploy it.

Two sources I might suggest you contact are Mozat.com who have a J2ME
callback launcher and smsBug.com who have a Java/GPRS based competitive SMS
service. Good luck in your effort to introduce a little competition into a
monopolistic environment.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:15:51 AM

Knowledge of the technology. And you?

In <Ib6dnVEtY5ael2HfRVn-vw@adelphia.com> on Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:43:44 -0400,
"I" <I@xxx.com> wrote:

>What makes you think that this is not possible?

>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <muGdnRm3GLrYqGjfRVn-pQ@adelphia.com> on Sat, 6 Aug 2005
>> 18:10:12 -0400,
>> "I" <I@xxx.com> wrote:
>>
>>>GSM OTA Provisioning Challenge
>>>
>>>I need help with a solution for a GSM related problem.
>>>
>>>Background:
>>>
>>>We are trying to provide an origination service in a very tightly
>>>controlled
>>>market in a West African country with artificially high origination costs.
>>>
>>>We intend to deploy an Orion GSM to VoIP channel bank IVR system. This
>>>should allow our customers to be able to call overseas at near local rates
>>>and avoid the artificially high tariffs that are being offered
>>>
>>>Problem / Challenge:
>>>
>>>We need to be able to send via an SMS message (a telephone number) to a
>>>cell
>>>phone that can be will prompt the recipient to add to accept or to discard
>>>the message (number).
>>>
>>>The SMS message will should not show the number (numerically) it should
>>>show
>>>it as a name, for instance, as "SUPERCALL".
>>>
>>>Once the recipient chooses to accept and add the number to their address
>>>book, the recipient should be able to scroll to and see and select the
>>>"number" to call.
>>>
>>>However the recipient should not be able to edit or view the number,
>>>numerically. He/she will only be able to see it as a word.
>>>
>>>When the number has been selected to dial, it should not show up as a
>>>number. It should just be able to dial out normally.
>>>
>>>The solution should be able to work on most cell phone/s (OS's) currently
>>>on
>>>the market.
>>>
>>>We look forward to responses.
>>
>> What makes you think this is possible?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

August 12, 2005 10:41:01 AM

In article <bgWKe.8817$p%3.36454@typhoon.sonic.net>, John Navas wrote:

> Knowledge of the technology. And you?

While you are at it, anyone have any knowledge or experience with
governments in this case?

A government issued monopoly is something the government wants and will
go to great lengths to protect.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Whilst I am at it, maybe i am the govt, or maybe the govt is taking bribes
from this operator and this operator is not playing by the books, maybe this
operator is charging exhorbitant prices and at the same time prventing other
carriers from carrying traffic.

Ever been in West Afrca? Maybe this carrier is putting cell jammers near the
towers of competitors. As for the govt. I have been down that road before.

!