Need advise on upgrading Mobo, CPU, RAM and Case

Due to problems with my current system (built 2008) I am considering upgrading.
I'm not sure exactly where my performance needs put me. I'm not a big gamer but I do occasionally play games like Skyrim and I run Photoshop CS5.

I'm looking to upgrade the following:
Case
Mobo
CPU/Heat Sink
RAM

Budget wise I would like to stay under $600.

I recently upgraded both my PSU (Corsair HX750) and my GPU (5770 Radeon).

So far I'm considering:

CPU: i5-2500k
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I52500K-Core-i5-2500K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I14G0694PHPBXM&colid=3F5I8CGFQM0OU

Heat Sink: Noctua NH-D14
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Mobo: ??

Case:
I have multiple HDs and big hands so need plenty of room. I found the following case but it seems pretty expensive:
Thermalake Cooler Master HAF X (Full Tower)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SuperSpeed-Interior-RC-942-KKN1/dp/B003S68Q0Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22F0XU5RRHVL2&colid=3F5I8CGFQM0OU

RAM:
I have Win 7 x64 but have been using win XP. I purchased x64 when 7 came out originally and then had problems finding x64 drivers so I switched back to XP. Now that Win 8 is coming out I am ready to go back to Win 7 x64.

Thanks!!
4 answers Last reply
More about need advise upgrading mobo case
  1. ryanjh said:
    Due to problems with my current system (built 2008) I am considering upgrading.
    I'm not sure exactly where my performance needs put me. I'm not a big gamer but I do occasionally play games like Skyrim and I run Photoshop CS5.

    I'm looking to upgrade the following:
    Case
    Mobo
    CPU (likely heat sink too as my current heat sink is for an Athlon CPU)
    RAM

    Budget wise I would like to stay under $600.

    I recently upgraded both my PSU (Corsair HX750) and my GPU (5770 Radeon).

    So far I'm considering:

    CPU: i5-2500k
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I52500K-Core-i5-2500K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I14G0694PHPBXM&colid=3F5I8CGFQM0OU

    Mobo: ??

    Case:
    I have multiple HDs and big hands so need plenty of room. I found the following case but it seems pretty expensive:
    Thermalake Cooler Master HAF X (Full Tower)
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SuperSpeed-Interior-RC-942-KKN1/dp/B003S68Q0Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22F0XU5RRHVL2&colid=3F5I8CGFQM0OU

    RAM:
    I have Win 7 x64 but have been using win XP. I purchased x64 when 7 came out originally and then had problems finding x64 drivers so I switched back to XP. Now that Win 8 is coming out I am ready to go back to Win 7 x64.

    Thanks!!



    Your choices are great. I wouldn't change the CPU or the Case.
    I did however go 30$ over your range but IU think you'll be pleased.
    All Items are from Newegg.


    Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600 DDR3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

    Asus P8Z68 SATA 6G/s USB 3.0 UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773

    Intel i5-2500 Quad Core 3.3Ghz (3.7 Ghz Turbo Boost)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Cooler Master Haf X Black Full Tower
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225


    Total price including Shipping: $632.96

    I went 16g memory because Adobe CS5 is memory dependent. 16 gigs is perfect for any multitasking that you do or any multi-media heavy programs you run.
    Went with the Mobo due to it fits your case has USB 3.0 and includes the thew UEFI GUI BIOS makes things easier when changing things around. The specs on it are great and is SLI/Crossfire ready incase you wish to add another GPU ontop.
  2. Thanks!

    I usually just go with Amazon as I get free 2 day S/H.

    What do you think of the 5770 Radeon? I bought it so I could play Skyrim but now I'm wondering if it was the best choice.
  3. ryanjh said:
    Thanks!

    I usually just go with Amazon as I get free 2 day S/H.

    What do you think of the 5770 Radeon? I bought it so I could play Skyrim but now I'm wondering if it was the best choice.



    The 5770 should do you justice. Dont think you'll be able to max out all the settings but you'll be somewhat close. It wont deter from the beauty of the game i'll tell you that much. Some companies I know stop manufacturing the lower end cards. An example is I had a 5870 from XFX.... RMA'd due to it going bonkers and got a free upgrade to a 6950. Not saying it will happen to you but its food for though. I know for a fact XFX stopped making the lower ends so they will automatically upgrade you.
    but back to the card.... you may or may not consider upgrading higher. Dont know your price limit but a GTx 560 and above will handle the game no problem on MAX as will a Radeon HD 6950 and above.
  4. Cloudz00x said:
    Your choices are great. I wouldn't change the CPU or the Case.
    I did however go 30$ over your range but IU think you'll be pleased.
    All Items are from Newegg.


    Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600 DDR3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

    Asus P8Z68 SATA 6G/s USB 3.0 UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773

    Intel i5-2500 Quad Core 3.3Ghz (3.7 Ghz Turbo Boost)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Cooler Master Haf X Black Full Tower
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225


    Total price including Shipping: $632.96

    I went 16g memory because Adobe CS5 is memory dependent. 16 gigs is perfect for any multitasking that you do or any multi-media heavy programs you run.
    Went with the Mobo due to it fits your case has USB 3.0 and includes the thew UEFI GUI BIOS makes things easier when changing things around. The specs on it are great and is SLI/Crossfire ready incase you wish to add another GPU ontop.


    Whoa - that case is way overkill. You're spending 1 /3 of your budget on the case there alone. And why not pay the extra $10 and go 2500K? I don't get that one. Drop that to the Corsair Carbide 500R and Crossfire your 5770 - that will yield some amazing results.

    Try this:

    - 2nd 5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161401
    - Corsair Carbide 400R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

    The Noctua D14 is definitely overkill as well - you could get by with something way less like a Hyper 212 Evo:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    And pay extra and get the 2500K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    If you don't want to get a second 5770 - add a good 64GB SSD for your boot drive like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Cases CPUs Systems Product