PC black screens and reboots during gaming.

(I have also put this on the PSU forum; I'm kind of new here, not sure what the issue is, and have no idea who to ask)

My PC Specs:

Antec 900
Sapphire Radeon 6970 2GB
AMD FX 8120@8150 Bulldozer 3.8ghz
ASUS M5A97 PRO EVO
16 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHZ RAM
OCZ ModXtreme PRO 700W PSU
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
2 120mm intake fans, 2 120 exhaust fans on H80 in a push-pull configuration, and a 240mm exhaust on the top of the case.

Hi all,
Around about 5 minutes into a Battlefield 3 session my PC will black screen and re-boot, and in some games much later on into sessions. I have re-sat everything in my pc, cleaned it, and re-applied thermal paste to my CPU.

(recently replaced the CPU, RAM, and most recently my GPU, but this happened once on my 6870 when playing SC2!)

Temperatures are as follows:
CPU Idle: 30 Degrees
Under Load: 43 Degrees

GPU Idle: 43 Degrees @ Fan speed 24 %
Under Load: 60 Degrees

MOBO: 25 Degrees

I ran a Prime95 test for my RAM and CPU for two hours with no errors, I also ran a 30 minute furmark3D test on my GPU for half an hour with no errors and the GPU hitting a top temp of 78 Degrees, and I have done memchecks which were all ok.

Is my PSU insufficient?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers,

Howard
4 answers Last reply
More about black screens reboots gaming
  1. i am thinking if it was a PSU problem it would cut power to the computer turning it completely off leaving you to turn it back on yourself
  2. What if the PSU is just peaking and losing power to certain areas of the computer? From what I have seen milling around on the internet under full load the 6970 (playing BF3 multiplayer) can pull some serious wattage. Combining that with the CPU and everything else...? I dunno this is all specualtion :(

The fact that the GPU and CPU passed the stress tests makes me think it can't be them.

Bump for great PC fixing justice
  3. i am having the same issue, however i can't even finish a single GPU benchmark without it black screening. i have run memtest 20 passes wtih no errors so i too suspect it's a PSU issue, maybe lack of power to the GPU? it could be the GPU itself but i'm not sure. have you found a solution? i've tried nearly everything, i'm about to blow $100 on a new PSU to see if that fixes it.:??:
  4. Xlivic said:
    i am having the same issue, however i can't even finish a single GPU benchmark without it black screening. i have run memtest 20 passes wtih no errors so i too suspect it's a PSU issue, maybe lack of power to the GPU? it could be the GPU itself but i'm not sure. have you found a solution? i've tried nearly everything, i'm about to blow $100 on a new PSU to see if that fixes it.:??:

I ended up replacing the PSU in the end, and that solved all my problems! It sounds to me like that might fix your issue too, mate. I highly recommend XFX XXX PSUs! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs