Sign in with
Your question

PC black screens and reboots during gaming.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 22, 2012 1:13:06 AM

(I have also put this on the PSU forum; I'm kind of new here, not sure what the issue is, and have no idea who to ask)

My PC Specs:

Antec 900
Sapphire Radeon 6970 2GB
AMD FX 8120@8150 Bulldozer 3.8ghz
ASUS M5A97 PRO EVO
16 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHZ RAM
OCZ ModXtreme PRO 700W PSU
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
2 120mm intake fans, 2 120 exhaust fans on H80 in a push-pull configuration, and a 240mm exhaust on the top of the case.

Hi all,
Around about 5 minutes into a Battlefield 3 session my PC will black screen and re-boot, and in some games much later on into sessions. I have re-sat everything in my pc, cleaned it, and re-applied thermal paste to my CPU.

(recently replaced the CPU, RAM, and most recently my GPU, but this happened once on my 6870 when playing SC2!)

Temperatures are as follows:
CPU Idle: 30 Degrees
Under Load: 43 Degrees

GPU Idle: 43 Degrees @ Fan speed 24 %
Under Load: 60 Degrees

MOBO: 25 Degrees

I ran a Prime95 test for my RAM and CPU for two hours with no errors, I also ran a 30 minute furmark3D test on my GPU for half an hour with no errors and the GPU hitting a top temp of 78 Degrees, and I have done memchecks which were all ok.

Is my PSU insufficient?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers,

Howard
June 22, 2012 1:38:29 AM

i am thinking if it was a PSU problem it would cut power to the computer turning it completely off leaving you to turn it back on yourself
June 22, 2012 3:02:05 AM

What if the PSU is just peaking and losing power to certain areas of the computer? From what I have seen milling around on the internet under full load the 6970 (playing BF3 multiplayer) can pull some serious wattage. Combining that with the CPU and everything else...? I dunno this is all specualtion :( 

The fact that the GPU and CPU passed the stress tests makes me think it can't be them.

Bump for great PC fixing justice
Related resources
June 30, 2013 5:46:09 PM

i am having the same issue, however i can't even finish a single GPU benchmark without it black screening. i have run memtest 20 passes wtih no errors so i too suspect it's a PSU issue, maybe lack of power to the GPU? it could be the GPU itself but i'm not sure. have you found a solution? i've tried nearly everything, i'm about to blow $100 on a new PSU to see if that fixes it.:??: 
June 30, 2013 6:51:01 PM

Xlivic said:
i am having the same issue, however i can't even finish a single GPU benchmark without it black screening. i have run memtest 20 passes wtih no errors so i too suspect it's a PSU issue, maybe lack of power to the GPU? it could be the GPU itself but i'm not sure. have you found a solution? i've tried nearly everything, i'm about to blow $100 on a new PSU to see if that fixes it.:??: 

I ended up replacing the PSU in the end, and that solved all my problems! It sounds to me like that might fix your issue too, mate. I highly recommend XFX XXX PSUs! :) 
!