Sign in with
Your question

Graphic card comparison

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2012 9:12:27 PM

Hello,

I currently have a machine with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. My dad just purchased a machine with a Radeon HD 6630.

What would be the comparison of these two cards? What is the most important thing to look at? The rest of the specs for my dads machine are better, and I can provide them here if that would be a factor, but I am really just trying to find out if there will be a discernable difference between the graphic performance of these two cards.

Thanks so much for the help!

Best,

Rick
January 3, 2012 9:41:00 PM

Posting the other specs for the hell of it. My machine is a couple of years old, but was a beast when I got it. He just got his for a really good deal, trying to determine what the difference in performance will be.

My Machine:

Dell XPS M1530
Processor: Intel Core Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz
4 gigs of ram
128 Gb SSD
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

New Machine:

HP Envy 14
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz
6 gigs of ram
160 Gb SSD
Video: Radeon HD 6630
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 9:43:51 PM

The 6630 is much faster. I'd say it's comparable for a desktop radeon 4670 (the extra shaders making up for lower clock speed). You should be able to tell the difference just by using a reasonably demanding game.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6630M.43963....

It's not going to play Crysis 2 on high, but it should be enough for med-high on DX 9 assuming the rest of the specs are good.
m
l
January 3, 2012 9:51:59 PM

megamanx00 said:
The 6630 is much faster. I'd say it's comparable for a desktop radeon 4670 (the extra shaders making up for lower clock speed). You should be able to tell the difference just by using a reasonably demanding game.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6630M.43963....

It's not going to play Crysis 2 on high, but it should be enough for med-high on DX 9 assuming the rest of the specs are good.

Awesome! Thats what I had hoped. The other specs I was happy with, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be sacrificing video performance. I do light gaming on my current laptop now and it is plenty fine for me, so a slight improvement would be great!

Thanks for the speedy response!

Best,

-Rick
m
l
!