Enough power?

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi a am about to order my components for my build and i dont know if my PSU is powerful enough.

The 600w PSU going to power 11 fans, i7 2600k, gtx 560 ti, 500 tb mechanical, 80 gb mechanical, DVD r/wr, two cold cathodes, 1 metre LED display, and i think thats it... Please let me know

What's the make or model of the PSU? Will you be adding a discrete graphics card?

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

haha i dont know why im getting so many, i guess i just like being extreme... my cases has 9 fan slots available and my CPU hetsink has two so... yeah lol

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

imn planning on a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance PSU and im going to get a gtx 560 ti discrete graphics card

Noooo, OCZ ModxStream, StealsXtream are crappy PSUs from OCZ, GameXstream is a little better, though I don't recommend anyone of it. You can check the reviews of that particular first two on jonnyguru and hardwarescerets, not recommended at all. Only Fatalty and ZS/ZT series from OCZ.

You can go with Antec HCG 620W, or Corsair TX 650W or any branded one from Seasonic, Silverstone,.......

Hardwaresecrets (your recommendation, not mine) seems to disagree. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ModXStream-Pro-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/936/9 Golden Award for the ModXStream Pro 600W

And jonnyguru never did a review of that model that I can find...

I would ordinarily agree with your sentiment, but not here. The ModXStream Pro 600W is just fine.

I don't remember seeing that "Pro" before, and I don't remember it was a "Modular" one, it was 2 years ago when I purchased my Antec TPQ 850W, this must be definitely an improved one.

I remember that all these Xstream series had ripple issues and not stable at loads, and i remember too that Thermaltake had very bad PSUs except for the ToughPower series, cause at this time i was confused choosing a PSU till I went for this high end unit.

If that's the unit he'll be getting. it's good.

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

hi again ive changed my mind, i think i will go for two gtx 460 768mb sli instead of the gtx 560 ti... will that change the power consumption enough to exceed the limitations of the ocz PSU? online calculators reccomend 550w

Well, that OCZ doesn't have enough PCIe connectors for SLI, but I think it would just barely do, with adapters.

What I'll caution you on though is that I'm not sure SLI 460 768's is really anything you want to be considering. If you were going to go the SLI route, SLI 560's (non-Ti) would be the way to go.

The 768MB of VRAM will be a limiting factor at higher resolutions (so would 1GB, actually, but not as bad). They may be better than a single 560 Ti, but only by a little. Not at all worth it, considering the extra power draw, IMO.

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Allrighty im gonna startordering the parts.... thanks!