Clarification needed on AT+CPMS

3GPP TS 27.005 states in section 3.2.2 that a possible response to
"AT+CPMS?" is
+CPMS:
<mem1>,<used1>,<total1>,<mem2>,<used2>,<total2>,<mem3>,<used3>,<total3>

The parameter <used1> is defined in section 3.1 as
<used1> integer type; number of messages currently in <mem1>

What is not very clear to me is whether <used1> stands for the total
number
of messages in the SIM or the total number of message locations in the
SIM that are used.

Can someone please clarify?

total number of messages in SIM <= total number of used message
locations in SIM

In the case where a large SMS is split into several segments the number
of msgs in SIM will be less than the number of used msg location in the
SIM.

The literal meaning of the parameter <used1> seems to suggest that it
is the total number of messages in SIM and not the total number of used
msg locations in SIM. But what purpose would it serve to return the
total number of messages in the SIM?
6 answers Last reply
More about clarification needed cpms

    agnelo@sasken.com wrote:

    > 3GPP TS 27.005 states in section 3.2.2 that a possible
    > response to "AT+CPMS?" is
    > +CPMS:

    <mem1>,<used1>,<total1>,<mem2>,<used2>,<total2>,<mem3>,<used3>,<total3>

    > The parameter <used1> is defined in section 3.1 as
    > <used1> integer type; number of messages currently in <mem1>
    >
    > What is not very clear to me is whether <used1> stands for the
    > total number of messages in the SIM or the total number of
    > message locations in the SIM that are used.
    >
    > Can someone please clarify?
    >
    > total number of messages in SIM <= total number of used
    > message locations in SIM
    >
    > In the case where a large SMS is split into several segments
    > the number of msgs in SIM will be less than the number of used
    > msg location in the SIM.
    >
    > The literal meaning of the parameter <used1> seems to suggest
    > that it is the total number of messages in SIM and not the
    > total number of used msg locations in SIM. But what purpose
    > would it serve to return the total number of messages in the
    > SIM?

    I'd be absolutely confident that it's the "number of used
    message locations" (to use your terminology). Realistically,
    "AT+CPMS" can have no understanding of the mechanism by which
    atomic messages get assembled into a larger message spanning
    more than 140 bytes (or 160 7-bit characters). That's done at
    a higher level than the PDU layer where "AT+CPMS" can operate.

    If a large message is split into 3 for example, that's 3
    individual and completely separate messages as far as any
    transport or storage layer is concerned. It's reassembled only
    when viewed at the "man-machine interface".

    GSM devices are required to store messages "as received".

    John

    agnelo@sasken.com wrote:

    > What is not very clear to me is whether <used1> stands for the
    > total number of messages in the SIM or the total number of
    > message locations in the SIM that are used.

    Easily demonstarted by experiment:

    AT+CPMS?
    +CPMS: "ME",13,100,"ME",13,100,"ME",13,100

    Then store a 2-part SMS, and repeat the query:

    AT+CPMS?
    +CPMS: "ME",15,100,"ME",15,100,"ME",15,100

    John

    Thank you very much John.
    I actually need to implement the AT command.
    What hardware/phone did you test AT+CPMS on?

    Agnelo

    agnelo@sasken.com wrote:

    > Thank you very much John.
    > I actually need to implement the AT command.
    > What hardware/phone did you test AT+CPMS on?

    The test was on a Siemens S55. This is a PDU-mode phone
    ("AT+CMGF=1" is not supported).

    John
  5. Hi John,

    I needed a clarification about the AT command AT+CPMS="SM","SM","MT"
    Although this AT command work with most of the UEs,it however gives an error msg with the Nokia 6630...I tried the AT command AT+CPMS=? & the mobile's response was "+CPMS: (),(),()" & I tried the AT command AT+CPMS? & the response was "+CPMS: ,,,,,,,,".Does this mean that the mobile does not allow the user to acces the memory location...Also if possible could you tell me the at commands not supported by this phone or the alternate AT commands for the mobile.Help on this will be very much appreciated!!!

    Cheers!!
    Sachin
  6. sachin-79 said:
    Hi John,

    I needed a clarification about the AT command AT+CPMS="SM","SM","MT"
    Although this AT command work with most of the UEs,it however gives an error msg with the Nokia 6630...I tried the AT command AT+CPMS=? & the mobile's response was "+CPMS: (),(),()" & I tried the AT command AT+CPMS? & the response was "+CPMS: ,,,,,,,,".Does this mean that the mobile does not allow the user to acces the memory location...Also if possible could you tell me the at commands not supported by this phone or the alternate AT commands for the mobile.Help on this will be very much appreciated!!!

    Cheers!!
    Sachin

    hi sachin i am facing the same problem too but no one is repplying the solution

GSM