cleaning inside camera mirror ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 4, 2005 10:24:12 PM

HEllo,
I have a brand NEW Pentax *ist DS.
I Am satisfied of my camera.
but changing from lens to another lens I accidentally
made the internal mirror dirty with a dirt spot and it
was not dust.
I could clean it with a standard product to clean lenses and inside
camera mirror but it was VERY HARD I took a long time.. I used a very very soft
cloth to do it.
IT can happen that the inside get dirty so here I want to make a
question.
Which is the proper way to clean the lenses and/or inside mirror of the
cameras ? with which tools ?
Can the internal mirror get damaged by products if using proper camera
products ?
Which is the best way to clean camera internals ?
thanks

Rick
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:24:13 PM

Ear syringe (clean!) or rocket blower can be used to blow off particles.
More stubborn particles can be removed with a clean artist's brush. Also,
see http://www.photosol.com/eclipseproduct.htm
June 5, 2005 3:14:51 AM

"RJ45" <rj45@NOSPAMslacknet.com> wrote in message
> HEllo,
> I have a brand NEW Pentax *ist DS.
> I Am satisfied of my camera.
> but changing from lens to another lens I accidentally
> made the internal mirror dirty with a dirt spot and it
> was not dust.
> I could clean it with a standard product to clean lenses and inside
> camera mirror but it was VERY HARD I took a long time.. I used a very very
> soft
> cloth to do it.
> IT can happen that the inside get dirty so here I want to make a
> question.
> Which is the proper way to clean the lenses and/or inside mirror of the
> cameras ? with which tools ?
> Can the internal mirror get damaged by products if using proper camera
> products ?
> Which is the best way to clean camera internals ?
> thanks
>
> Rick

Hi there.

The Reflex Mirror is different from almost any other mirror you are going to
come across. The reflective surface is ON TOP of the Glass, not below it.
It is incredibly easy to damage it.

The normal rule is Do Not touch It with anything.

If it gets very dusty, use a blower, without the brush. Dirt marks on the
mirror are usually so out of focus that they will not affect your viewfinder
image. If you must touch it, then a clean artists sable brush should be
used, and used very gently.

Point the lens opening downwards when changing lenses to avoid dirt getting
inside.

The best way to clean camera interiors, is with a miniature vacuum, (the
kind that runs on 1 AA or the little 9V battery), without letting the end
of the suction tube touch anything. The Shutter Blades are also very easy
to damage, and replacing a shutter mechanism is expensive.

Roy G
Related resources
June 5, 2005 1:27:52 PM

Have a look at these sites:

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...
http://www.visibledust.com/

Would be interested in other comments from the group once they have read the
two/three articles about this. I was about to plunk out about $150 (CD)
when I read Petteri's pontifications. Now I am further confused.

regards

Don from Down Under
"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "RJ45" <rj45@NOSPAMslacknet.com> wrote in message
>> HEllo,
>> I have a brand NEW Pentax *ist DS.
>> I Am satisfied of my camera.
>> but changing from lens to another lens I accidentally
>> made the internal mirror dirty with a dirt spot and it
>> was not dust.
>> I could clean it with a standard product to clean lenses and inside
>> camera mirror but it was VERY HARD I took a long time.. I used a very
>> very soft
>> cloth to do it.
>> IT can happen that the inside get dirty so here I want to make a
>> question.
>> Which is the proper way to clean the lenses and/or inside mirror of the
>> cameras ? with which tools ?
>> Can the internal mirror get damaged by products if using proper camera
>> products ?
>> Which is the best way to clean camera internals ?
>> thanks
>>
>> Rick
>>

> Hi there.
>
> The Reflex Mirror is different from almost any other mirror you are going
> to come across. The reflective surface is ON TOP of the Glass, not below
> it. It is incredibly easy to damage it.
>
> The normal rule is Do Not touch It with anything.
>
> If it gets very dusty, use a blower, without the brush. Dirt marks on the
> mirror are usually so out of focus that they will not affect your
> viewfinder image. If you must touch it, then a clean artists sable brush
> should be used, and used very gently.
>
> Point the lens opening downwards when changing lenses to avoid dirt
> getting inside.
>
> The best way to clean camera interiors, is with a miniature vacuum, (the
> kind that runs on 1 AA or the little 9V battery), without letting the end
> of the suction tube touch anything. The Shutter Blades are also very easy
> to damage, and replacing a shutter mechanism is expensive.
>
> Roy G

June 5, 2005 4:20:08 PM

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
sAzoe.3235$F7.323@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Have a look at these sites:
>
> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...
> http://www.visibledust.com/
>
> Would be interested in other comments from the group once they have read
> the two/three articles about this. I was about to plunk out about $150
> (CD) when I read Petteri's pontifications. Now I am further confused.
>
> regards
>
> Don from Down Under
June 5, 2005 4:23:24 PM

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
sAzoe.3235$F7.323@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Have a look at these sites:
>
> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...
> http://www.visibledust.com/
>
> Would be interested in other comments from the group once they have read
> the two/three articles about this. I was about to plunk out about $150
> (CD) when I read Petteri's pontifications. Now I am further confused.
>
> regards
>
> Don from Down Under

Sorry, I clicked on "send" instead of "paste"!...

Don, I've been through all this myself, and after much hesitation my
conclusions are:

1. Clean your camera yourself (you'll save money, it only takes 3 minutes -
photography is about taking photos for pleasure, not waiting for your camera
to be returned). Cleaning is something that has to be done do on a regular
basis and really, the only practical way is to do it yourself! It is nerves
breaking the first time, but frankly, there's nothing to it except that
legend and superstitions have already done their damage, together with
greedy salespeople to make you believe that only a professional can do it.
Not true if you have selected the appropriate tools.

2. My solution was to buy a kit (sensor swabs and pecpads with the
appropriate fluid). I think that next time I'll recycle the swabsticks by
wrapping them with pecpads - it will be cheaper (haven'd deciede yeet as my
supply of swabsticks is not exhausted).

3. For info, follow this link: I've use it successfully prior to cleaning
despite all the doom predicted to me.
http://fovea.perso.cegetel.net/IonizerE.htm (anything that removes stactic
electricity is a great idea, whether it is the method mentioned on the above
link or charging a brush - this is next on my list of things to try).

4. Use common sense: be gentle on your camera, use soft tools, don't scrub.
The sensor is protected either by a varnish or a glass plate. I have used
used compressed air successfully, though some people do not recommend it.
Again, be sensible about the way you blow the air... (don't shake the can,
hold it vertically, blow from a safe distance, in short bursts. Also, don't
be a purist about dust (a lot of people complain that their camera comes
back from cleaning with dust particles still on the sensor anyway).

My last word of advice: BE SENSIBLE AND PRAGMATIC. It it works, it is the
right way to do it, with all due respect to salesmen, purists, priests and
witches to name a few.

And above all, please keep us informed of your progress, we'll all benefit
from your acquired knowledge.

Jean (formerly from down under and missing it sometimes).
!