Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Implications of updating a laptop video driver?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Video Driver
  • Toshiba
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2012 9:58:28 PM

I own a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q882, system specs: Intel i5-450m, GeForce GTS 360M, 2298MB total V-RAM: "1GB GDDR5 discrete memory + up to 1274MB shared memory", 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 500GB HDD at 7200rpm, Win 7 Home Pro 64-bit.

It's a nice system and, aside from web development, I use it for gaming too. I'm wondering about upgrading the video card. I have the "most recent" video driver Toshiba is offering: v8.17.12.5912, which was posted for download way back on 8/27/2010. Just a wee bit old ;) 

I've already done some research and any mention of updating laptop video drivers strongly recommends only using the manufacturer's drivers. Before I new that, I updated my video driver and the only thing I noticed is that the computer would not go to sleep automatically according to my power settings.

I'm willing to put up with such a minor inconvenience if I can use a more up-to-date video driver. I'm wondering what are the implications of using an nVidia driver, as opposed to Toshiba's. Can it do any serious damage to my system, such as corrupting system files, requiring a system restore?

If I can, I'd like to squeeze as much as I can out of this already good system, for as long as I can. And I'm willing to deal with a minor inconvenience as mentioned above, but obviously don't want to deal with serious problems.

More about : implications updating laptop video driver

Best solution

January 3, 2012 10:06:23 PM

It should be fine, it is the exact same Nvidia chip as other brands, the drivers will work.
a c 165 Î Nvidia
January 3, 2012 10:07:23 PM

It will not do any damage! You have already found the issue using them.
Score
Related resources
January 3, 2012 10:50:19 PM

Thanks, guys - downloading the latest version now!
Score
January 14, 2012 10:38:33 AM

Best answer selected by eventide67.
Score
!