Replacing everything except hdd

rhyle95

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi guys,

Just a quick question...

I am doing a new build and I will be replacing everything except my hdd as it is still a decent hdd and I do not want to have to buy another copy of windows just because i've replaced a hdd so that is the only thing im keeping from my old build.

SO im just wondering, with all the new components (new mobo, cpu, gpu etc) will my computer still boot up if I keep this hdd? Will i have to remove all mobo and gpu drivers or should it be fine for first boot and then replace all the drivers with the new components drivers once booted?

Thanks in advance guys!

rhyle95

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Okay thanks,

I complelty basically reformatted my Hard drive but without losing windows 7 (A lot of unistalling and deleting of files in program files etc)

And I downloaded the new drivers for my new build (gpu drivers, and mobo bios update) but still havent installed them until I install this drive into the new system.

So that should all work fine?

In theory yes, but don't rule out the possibility of it not. Windows 7 is very forgiving to hardware changes, more so then older OS's but its not perfect.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Keep in mind what nekulturny stated "Windows 7 theoretically should adapt to the new system." The best route would be a "clean" install, but if you can't do that then you have no other choice but to try and hope for the best. Good luck with the build. :)

g-unit1111

Titan

You'll most likely have to do a clean format as even though you uninstalled all the programs, drivers, what have you - a lot of that stuff still lurks in the Windows Registry and cleaning that out is *NOT* fun in the slightest, believe me.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Especially in the old days when we had to do it line by line. After you uninstall everything that you are going to uninstall run a good registry cleaner (something like CCleaner - its free - google it if you don't have it already). Run it a few times. If you're lucky you'll remove all the "lurking" stuff you don't want. But again thats why I urged a "clean" install if possible. :)

Yea, windows 7 is supposed to not require this. Really, even Vista for all its misery was giving us a more painless hard drive transplant process. Really the main hindrance to hard drive transplants now is proprietary crap if you're working with an HDD out of a Dell for example (famous for screwing us over with proprietaries).

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Especially with their infamous proprietary ram and power supply wiring schemes. :lol: :lol:

Hey, I had the Dell Rambus, you know, at the time I had no complaints about it. I just never could afford to upgrade it to 512mb. Alas, 256 was all my 8200 was meant to have! :kaola:

forbidenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I am similarly replacing (nearly) everything with a new computer build (I am keeping the SSD and storage HDDs as well as the RAM I bought a month ago). I hope to just install my SSD, HDDs, the old ram, and install the drivers for the new components on first boot without having to change any of my files or programs.

Here's to hoping it goes OK!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I remember learning to do that in Windows 2K / NT, it wasn't fun then and it's definitely not fun now. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS