Mar 7, 2012
Hi
I would appreciate any help or advice with this problem. The system contains:
Intel P4HT,
Intel D975XBX
Alpine 500W PSU
Integral 2GB RM
ATI Radeon XT 1600 PCI-E video card

Put the system together and it would not post with original DDR2-533 RAM (2X1GB Kingston and 2X1GB Corsair), but system worked when I used 2x2GB Geil DDR2-667 RAM.
So having assembled a "working" system ie booted to BIOS screen, added a 160 HDD and started to load the O/S Windows Vista. After the O/S install, started to install the Intel drivers first using the automated Intel installation program, installation failed after adding first driver.
Constantly receiving the dreaded BSOD, so in a rush of blood, decided to update BIOS.
Downloaded latest BIOS upgade from Intel.
Complete loss of video - fans spin, GEil RAM LEDs work.
Ask Intel for help - advised to use BIOS recovery technique.
Removed mobo from case and started to work on "breadboard" to eliminate variables
Tried Intel BIOS recovery, downloaded "BIO" file from Intel, set BIOS jumper from 2-3 to 1-2, connected CD-ROM, CD-ROM appeared to work, waited 3 minutes, powered down, reset BIOS jumper - still nothing.
Swapped out as much as I could ie Fans, RAM, video, monitor - while running as breadboard - still no change.
So I am at a complete loss, any advice would be really appreciated.

rjg2bucks

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hi
According to the manual 3 beeps = missing RAM. So when I remove the RAM from the mobo - the system beeps three times - indicating that I have no memory. I'm not certain but I think that proves that the mobo might be working?

The BSOD's were various including "apci.sys" and "expand.sys"

One other thing I forgot to add, when I assemble everything the mobo powers on using the on/off switch on the PSU. I do not need to touch the power pins on the mobo switch connect to get it working.

Try a reset. With the power off, put the jumper on the reset pins, leave for about 15 seconds, then put it back into the normal position for operation. You can also try removing the battery for about 1 minute and then putting it back in. If you still get no POST, it looks like you may have flashed your BIOS incorrectly. If this is the case, there is nothing you can do, the motherboard is now inoperable. The only way to fix this is to send it back to the manufacture and have them reflash the BIOS for you. Or, if the BIOS chip is removable, (some are, especially on older boards) you may be able to buy a replacement chip.

rjg2bucks

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hi
Thanks for your insights. I have taken the PSU and had it professionally tested - everything OK.
I have tried your suggestion about the BIOS - no change.
So if the BIOS is corrupt - could anybody suggest somebody in the UK who is capable of "reflashing" the BIOS - or do I have to send the mobo off to Intel?
Regards
RJG

Most likely if this is the problem you'd end up buying another Motherboard if that one isn't under a warranty. Being that its several years old, I assume it isn't. But yes, it would be Intel that you would sent it to since they made the MOBO. Worth calling them to see how much they'd charge to do it, and find out how much you'd have to pay for shipping (I doubt they'll pay for it).

rjg2bucks

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hi
Thanks for your comments, I've done an internet search and have not been able to find anybody else other than Intel. So I'll call Intel tomorrow and see if they are interested in the work.
Thanks
RJG

TRENDING THREADS