ATI FirePro V3800 not working on PC

MichaelF

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
hello,

ive got a firepro v3800 card, plugged it in, tried to boot the PC and it wont POST and a black screen is shown, but all the fans, lights, HDD is spinning
Processor gets hot.

the graphics card also powers on. im also having to use a DVI to VGA adapter.

at first i though it was the PSU, using an online calculator it showed with the card i was using ~300W.

i had a basic 250W, so i upgraded to a 400W FSP 80+ unit.

problem not solved.

PC specs -
-intel celeron D 360
-2GB RAM
-packard bell BV RC415 motherboard (it has an AMI BIOS but packard bell have stopped support and AMI website was more than useless)
-it has onboard ATI graphics

i know its a basic PC, but its also a basic card and the PC isnt that old either.

anyone shed any light? its a common problem but i havent seen any useful help yet.

DM186

Splendid
You know this being an older system and I don't mean old old hey even 6 months is old these days anyway if haven't already done so you might have to disable the on board graphics card before it can detect the new card. Most systems will auto detect the new card.

Hostiledonut I think what he is saying does the your card require a 6 pin connecter from the powersupply?. I went on line to find your card but it didn't see anything about external power being connected from the PSU. I hop you can get it going good luck

MichaelF

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
there is no power connectors on it.

ok, ill need help with the bios.

heres what i can see relevant-
Advanced Chipset Setup
-CAS latency time - by SPD
-Auto share memory control - Enabled
-VGA share memory - 256mb
-video display devices - Auto
-TV standard - NTSC
-Expansion mode - disabled
-HPET in SB

PCI/PnP Setup
-Init Display first - PCI/IGD
-Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA - yes
-Resource controlled by - auto
-PCI/VGA palette snoop - enabled

what would i need to be changing?

suau

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Check "video display devices - Auto", it should have AGP/PCI-E and onboard as option, chose AGP/PCI-E

MichaelF

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
i dont have another system at the minute unfortunately.

but ive handled it like ive handled every other component and they're fine.

ill try those settings tomorrow and report back!

thanks fellas

Well, it may just be a dead card. Probably not, but ya never know. I hope it works! :)

DM186

Splendid
Besides the 24 pin connecter pluging onto your mother board. There should be a 4 pin connector or six that plugs onto another part of your mother board that comes out of your PSU unit. Just a thought.

He already said he didn't have any more connectors on the card.

DM186

Splendid

I know that I am stating the 4 or 6 pin connecter coming from the PSU to the MOBO I am looking at mine right now. It comes out from the PSU to the MOBO. :??: I know he doesn't need the power to the card we all know that. Hey it was just a thought. I help someone else who forgot to plug that into his MOBO and when he did his card worked

For the CPU, there should be an 4-pin, and for the GPUs, on high-end boards, there are sometimes connectors, but that is for high powered cards, which the v3800 is not a very high-power consuming card.

DM186

Splendid

I get it what you are saying and Thankyou for showing me where my error was I wasn't thinking about that. I had something else going on in my head.

MichaelF

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
ok, 'video display devices' doesnt give me an option for PCI/AGP.

on init display first it shows me options for
-IGD
-PEG/IGD
-PCI/IGD

the last one is selected.
i also enabled expansion mode and it didnt make much of a difference.

im starting to think the system just doesnt want this card lol